Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Milk Gelato


Gelato in Autumn? Yep. That is how I roll.

I`m not the only one who believes ice cream is a year around treat. I have read plenty of blogs where they confessed their love for this frozen dessert year around. I also wanted to take a break from all the fall recipes containing pumpkin and apples.

I came upon this recipe for milk gelato and instantly thought: "Yum. I must try this!"

And try, I did. It was delicious and sweeter than I thought it would be, even though I decreased the sugar a little (I do this in almost every recipe).

My mom doesn`t eat ice cream often, so I wanted to make an ice cream flavor she would like. I immediately thought of her after seeing the recipe.


After churning the ice cream, I divided it between two containers. One for my parents and one for me because I added Oreos into mine. I figured I have so many, why not? It was perfect. I simply love the addition of the cookie pieces. It tasted just like cookies and cream ice cream!

Plus, my mom LOVED it as well. It made me so happy how excited she was when she first tasted the gelato. It made me one happy daughter, I`ll tell you that. I didn`t get a picture of the plain milk gelato, but it looks just like the picture, minus the cookies. :)

Another great thing about this recipe? It`s made with FOUR simple ingredients. Five, if you add the Oreos!

Milk Gelato (with Oreos)


Adapted from: Saveur
Yields: ~1 quart
Level: Easy
Total Time: ~20 minutes + at least 6 hours of chilling time

Materials Needed:
-          1 medium saucepan
-          1 fine mesh sieve /strainer
-          1 small bowl
-          1 large bowl
-          1 wooden spoon
-          stove
-          plastic/saran wrap
-          1 freezer safe and airtight container (at least 1 1/2 quart)

Ingredients:
§  1 cup heavy cream
§  3 cups whole milk (divide: 1 cup + 2 cups)
§  1 cup (minus 2 tablespoons) granulated sugar
§  7 tablespoons cornstarch
§  5 Oreo cookies, chopped into pieces (Optional)

Directions:
1.      If your ice cream maker requires you to freeze your ice cream bowl ahead of time, do so 24 hours in advance.
2.      In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and 1 cup of milk. Stir to until sugar dissolves.
3.      In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream and the 2 cups of milk until it starts to simmer.
4.      Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the sugar, cornstarch, and milk mixture (from Step 1).
5.      Return the saucepan to the stove, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens-- it will coats the back of the wooden spoon (this will take about 10 minutes)
6.      While you wait for mixture to boil, set a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl and set aside.
7.      Once mixture is ready, strain it into the large bowl to cool for about 5 minutes.
8.      Cover with saran wrap touching the surface of the mixture and allow to cool completely in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
9.      Follow your  manufacturer's instructions to churn ice cream
10.  Transfer to a freezer-safe container.
11.  *At this point, if you want to stir in Oreos pieces, fold them in*
12.  Cover with plastic wrap touching the ice cream before putting on the lid.
13.  Freeze for at least 4 hours, or until desired consistency.



12 comments:

  1. This gelato is beautiful and looks absolutely delicious! I love that you added Oreo's to yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i get an ice cream maker, this will be the first thing i make! i love the thought of milk.. well, lots of dairy in my ice cream! bookmarked! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An ice cream maker is definitely worth the investment!

      Delete
  3. wow, this looks soooo delicious!

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so like me in that I always make and eat what I'm in the mood for, regardless of the season. This looks delicious and I will try it this winter ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magical properties of food, right? LOL. In winter...

      Delete
  5. Drool... I would love mine to have Oreo too. Maybe having both kind please. Looks so good! I think I put the ice cream bowl out of freezer. If not I should give this recipe as one last chance before I stop making ice cream for now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both kinds are lovely! I took my ice cream bowl out of my freezer too, but I put it right back in when it started getting hot again. LOL

      Delete
  6. You have done it again - made a FANTASTIC ice cream! I am SOOOO glad i have an ice cream maker now! Have you ever made frozen yoghurt in ur ice cream maker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you!

      Yes I have! I tried making strawberry frozen yogurt! The recipe I used is here: http://heartsinmyoven.blogspot.com/2012/07/strawberry-frozen-yogurt.html

      Delete

Cooksnaps