So, Trader Joe's. I go there pretty often because it`s very convenient for me, being across the street from my campus apartment and all.
If you`ve ever been to Trader Joe's, you know they have some pretty cool snacks. Like herb & spices popcorn and blueberry dunkers (Sidenote: I don`t think they have these anymore? I can`t seem to find them anymore.) They also have really awesome seasonal snacks like peppermint covered pretzels crisps. (I also recommend you try all snacks that I list. LOL.)
One day, I saw that they had frozen banana slices. Hmm, interesting. I`ve never had frozen chocolate covered bananas before!
I bought a box, but later realized I could just make some myself, so I did just that! I bought one of those large chocolate bars they have at Trader Joe's, a few bananas, and I was ready to go. Super easy and this requires only TWO ingredients.
I added some sprinkles for some Fall flare. Of course, sprinkles are completely optional, but I find them really cute. Plus, you can use any kind/type that matches the season or occasion. These can be nice homemade gifts for Christmas gifts as well. Just put them into mason jars and tie a pretty bow. Ta-da! Easy, simple, and yummy gifts!
They are awesome snacks! Healthier than chips, so I don`t feel bad snacking on them while studying. Hehe. I would like to add that I find that these taste better than the Trader Joe's ones because the bananas are fresher.
Give these a try. I`m loving them and I know I`ll make new ones whenever I run out so I`ll always have some in stock as a snack. I just keep them in a sandwich bag in the freezer and pop a few in my mouth whenever I want!
Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas Slices
By: Hearts In My Oven
Yields: ~ 24 slices
Total Time: ~ 40 minutes
- double boiler (or two pots with one that fits on top of the other/or one pot and a heat safe bowl)
- dipping utensils/fork (I used this--only $3 at Michael's)
- wooden spoon
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
§ 1 - 1lb/16 oz milk chocolate bar (I used the Trader Joe's milk chocolate 17.6oz bar)
§ 2 medium size bananas
§ Sprinkles (Optional)
1. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Slice your bananas into desired size. (My slices were a little less than 1cm.)
3. Place banana slices on top of baking sheet and put it in the freezer.
4. Fill bottom pot halfway with water and wait until water is simmering.
5. Set the other pot/heat-proof bowl on top.
6. Break your chocolate bar into smaller pieces into the top pot/bowl.
7. Once the chocolate is melted, take the baking sheet out of the freezer.
8. Using either dipping tools or a fork, dip bananas into the melted chocolate.
9. Tap the fork on the side of the bowl a little, so excess chocolate drips back into the bowl.
10. Set onto parchment paper.
11. Sprinkle tops with some decorations such as sprinkles. (Optional)
12. Once all the slices are covered, place baking sheet back into the freezer.
13. When the chocolate hardens (should be done after 15-20 minutes), place the banana slices in a sandwich bag or freezer safe container.
14. Freeze and enjoy them frozen! (Do not defrost.)