Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Lemon Cookies with Lemon Glaze


Lemon flavored desserts are always welcomed in my home. I love the lemon flavor and scent and simply cannot get enough of it! A lot of the lemon desserts I have tried are usually not lemon-y enough for me. Possibly, because I love sour things. Sour punch straws were (and still are) one of my favorite candies growing up. Haha.

Once, I had a slice of Cheesecake Factory's lemon raspberry cheesecake...and oh, my...it was AMAZING. It had that lemon flavor I was craving for in lemon desserts. I wanted to order the whole cheesecake to take home with me!



My uncle's family grows a lemon tree in their backyard, so we usually have plenty of lemons. We had some in the fridge and I knew I wanted to make a lemon dessert. Luckily, my sister and I were craving for a simple lemon dessert and we decided on these!

If you like lemon, you will definitely love the lemon glaze. It really gives you that lemon kick. I enjoyed these cookies with and without the glaze, though. It`s really up to your preferences. I definitely loved the look of the lemon zest on the glaze when I was eating these. :)


Lemon Cookies with Lemon Glaze
Adapted: Martha Stewart | Yields: 12 cookies | Level: Easy | Total Time:45 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
Lemon Cookies:
§  1 cup all purpose flour
§  ¼ teaspoon baking soda
§  ¼ teaspoon salt
§  2 teaspoons lemon zest
§  ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
§  ½ cup granulated sugar
§  ½ large egg (1 cracked egg, divided in half)
§  ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
§  ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
§  1 tablespoon lemon juice
Lemon Glaze:
§  ½ cup powdered sugar
§  ½ tablespoons lemon zest
§  1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice

Materials Needed:
-          baking sheet
-          baking sheet/parchment paper
-          2 medium/large bowls w/ electric mixer
-          1 small bowls
-          2 whisks
-          1 rubber spatula
-          1 cookie scoop
-          cooling racks
Directions:
1.    Preheat oven to 350°F.
2.    Line baking sheet(s) with baking mat/parchment paper.
3.    In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
4.    In another bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until it's light and fluffy.
5.    Mix in the egg, vanilla extract, lemon extract, and lemon juice.
6.    Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until combined.
7.    Using a cookie scoop, drop cookie dough 2 inches apart from each other onto baking sheet.
8.    Bake for 13 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden.
9.    Allow cookies to cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cookie sheet to cool completely.
10.  In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
11.  Drizzle on top of cooled cookies.
12.  Once glaze is set, serve.
13.  Store in airtight container.

Cooksnaps