Thursday, June 7, 2012

David's Mint Chip Ice Cream


I wasn`t planning on sharing this recipe just yet. I was saving it up for later, but it`s been getting really hot around here. Yeah, I know I live in Southern California and the weather here is great. But I`ll admit it, we`re a bit weather-spoiled. Which means, when it gets a little too hot or a little too cold, we I complain...a bit. However, being the cool person that I am (actually, I`m quite lame...but more stories about how lame I am later), I wanted to share with my awesome readers my experience with making David Lebovitz`s mint chip ice cream. Since it`s almost summer. :)

If you don`t know who he is, he`s well, famous. He wrote a very popular cookbook called The Perfect Scoop. (That book is totally on my wishlist on Amazon. Too bad Christmas is so far away. Too bad I don`t have a paying job either. LOL.)


AHEM.

Sorry, delicious ice cream. Back to you.

I saw David`s recipe and thought it was brilliant to infuse the milk mixture with actual mint leaves. I knew I had to give this a try, even though this was only my second attempt at making homemade ice cream and using my brand new ice cream machine my dad bought for me. [I love you Daddy. You are THE BEST♥] 


I told you not to doubt the Pioneer Woman before and now I`m telling you not to doubt David Lebovitz. He`s an expert on this kind of stuff! I mean, the guy lives in Paris. HOW COOL IS THAT?!

Anyways, I totally loved loved loved this ice cream. You can definitely taste the fresh mint leaves and it tastes more herb-like compared to the mint ice cream you buy at stores/shops. Highly recommended and will definitely make this again!

I also want to mention that even though I loved this recipe like crazy, D (my youngest sister) and J (my boyfriend) thought this was only "okay". They preferred the taste of artificial mint compared to  the actual mint leaves. On the other hand, a few of my friends who was able to try this thought it was really good! So give it a try, people!

And because he wrote a book called The Perfect Scoop and all...I didn`t really want to change or alter his recipe. The only change I made was that I reduced the sugar amount slightly. Thus, I will link you guys to the recipe on his lovely site. Honestly, this was a really fun and cool experience. I felt so boss with mint leaves in my milk/cream mixture. It totally looked like I knew what I was doing. LOL.

Mint Chip Ice Cream

Servings: 1 quart
Level: Easy-Medium
Total Time: ~30min + overnight cooling + 25 mins

Recipe at David Lebovitz for: Mint Chip Ice Cream 



8 comments:

  1. I love the choc mint combo! I am so keen to try it his way too - been eyeing out his recipe for a long time :) Yours looks so good! i wish it was summer here! We are just going into winter - but my theory is any season is a good season for ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat ice cream throughout the year too! :) I used less mint leaves than the recipe called for, but it was still plenty minty.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I love that you've used real mint, too. Looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ughh I NEED to get an ice-cream machine! So jealous of yours :) Homemade ice-cream always looks so amazing, and chocolate chip mint is one of my favorites! Cookie dough is a close second...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only $25 at costco! I was so happy. :) & ME TOO. this seriously is my favorite ice cream flavor.

      Delete
  4. This looks pretty amazing. I am always keen on trying new ice cream recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give this recipe a try then!

      Delete

Cooksnaps