Sunday, August 5, 2012

Coffee Toffee Ice Cream


I love coffee ice cream and have been searching and saving lots of recipes for months. The problem I`ve been encountering is that I don`t have coffee beans, coffee granules, instant coffee or coffee anything. Because I don`t drink coffee. I only drink mocha frappacinos because it`s all icy and has chocolate. tehe ♥ That, and this Japanese coffee milk drink during finals week when I stay up to like 4am studying. Even then, I only need about 1/4 cup of it to keep me awake. LOL.

However, I love coffee flavor things like ice cream and candy. Omg, I do love coffee candy. (ahem, I love candy in general. It`s like I`m a kid. Hey, I`m only 21...so still a kid, basically.)


Anyways, I found this recipe on Sam`s blog Sweet Remedy where you just pour in the coffee! I still had problem with having no coffee...but that predicament was soon solved.

Last quarter, I was so busy I forgot to by those Japanese coffee milk drinks to stock up for Finals week. As the quarter progresses, I get progressively less sleep per day from like 8 hrs/day to 5hrs/day. Thus, when it came to my last final, I was SO SO SLEEPY, but I didn`t have any of my coffee milk!


Lucky for me, one of my apartment-mate is addicted coffee. Starbucks makes money off of people like her. LOL. She had a coffee maker! Unfortunately, I didn`t know how to use it. I texted her around 1am for her permission to use it. Then, I begged my roommate to make us some coffee. We each made our own cups by adding in a ton of milk and sugar. It was gross but, I needed the caffeine and drank away.

We had leftover brewed coffee, so I put it in the fridge and after my morning final and a long nap, I made this!

I added some toffee into the ice cream since I love toffee and had a lot of Health toffee bits. Yum. :) The ice cream was a little icy, but it was still really good! It definitely had the coffee flavor and I loved the crunch from the toffee pieces.


Coffee Toffee Ice Cream

Slightly Adapted: Sweet Remedy
Yields: ~1 1/2 quart
Level: Easy
Total Time:  ~35 minutes + 6hours-overnight chill time.
(Print Recipe)

Materials Needed:
-          Ice cream machine (if needed, place bowl in the freezer 24hrs in advance)
-          1 Medium Mixing Bowl
-          1 Medium saucepan
-          1 Wooden spoon
-          1 Whisk
-          1 Large Mixing bowl
-          1 airtight container (at least 2 quarts)

Ingredients:
§  1 1/2 cups heavy cream
§  1 1/2 cups milk
§  3 large egg yolks
§  2 large eggs
§  3/4 cup granulated sugar
§  1 cup cold coffee
§  1 cup of Health toffee bits

Directions:
1.       In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the heavy cream and milk until little bubbles form around the edges (do not let it boil).
2.       While the cream mixture is starting to heat, in a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, eggs, and sugar until combined and smooth.
3.       Once the cream mixture is hot, pour some of it into the egg/sugar bowl, constantly stirring.
4.       Then, pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan. Constantly stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
5.       Remove saucepan from the heat and pour into a large bowl. Add and combine the coffee.
6.       Once the mixture has chilled slightly, cover with plastic film/saran wrap touching the surface of the cream mixture (this will prevent it from forming a thin film on top).
7.       Refrigerate until completely cooled (about 2 hrs or overnight).
8.       Prepare your ice cream machine and follow your ice cream machine's manufacture instructions to churn the ice cream.
9.       Transfer ice cream into an airtight container by layering some of the ice cream, then, adding the toffee bits, then ice cream--repeat as necessary--ending with ice cream on top.
10.   Place in freezer to firm up until desired consistency (about 4 hours). 

16 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I wish I could have one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So refreshing to have some ice cream right now! :D

      Delete
  2. I envy those of you who don't need coffee to wake up in the morning. I am not technically a human being until after my morning cup, and then I only really get going after my second when I'm in the office. I could definitely go for a big scoop of this ice cream with a shot of espresso over it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You're not alone! I know lots of people like who drinks coffee everyday. Ooo..that sounds good!

      Delete
  3. I really hope that by next summer I'll have bought an ice-cream machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha. Maybe they`ll go on sale after summer ends! You can always make ice cream without one!

      Delete
  4. Haha, your apartment-mate sounds like me. The people at Starbucks even know my name :p
    This looks ridiculously good!! I need to get an ice cream maker!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coffee ice cream is my favorite! I hardly ever drag out my ice cream machine but I could be convinced for this recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I`m surprised you don`t drag your ice cream machine out more!

      Delete
  6. Ooooh so genius. Coffee Milk is SO GOOD. There is this local Dairy farm where I live and they make coffee milk, too! I love how coffee and toffee rhyme :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! How awesome! I would love to go to a local Dairy farm to try their coffee milk.

      Delete
  7. Most people don't know how to make ice cream but know how to make coffee. You're the other way around. haha

    That's awesome you were clever and inventive. The ice cream looks delish!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I didn't think about it that way...Thanks for the sweet comment!

      Delete

Cooksnaps