Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas Slices


So, Trader Joe's. I go there pretty often because it`s very convenient for me, being across the street from my campus apartment and all.

If you`ve ever been to Trader Joe's, you know they have some pretty cool snacks. Like herb & spices popcorn and blueberry dunkers (Sidenote: I don`t think they have these anymore? I can`t seem to find them anymore.) They also have really awesome seasonal snacks like peppermint covered pretzels crisps. (I also recommend you try all snacks that I list. LOL.)

One day, I saw that they had frozen banana slices. Hmm, interesting. I`ve never had frozen chocolate covered bananas before!


I bought a box, but later realized I could just make some myself, so I did just that! I bought one of those large chocolate bars they have at Trader Joe's, a few bananas, and I was ready to go. Super easy and this requires only TWO ingredients.

I added some sprinkles for some Fall flare. Of course, sprinkles are completely optional, but I find them really cute. Plus, you can use any kind/type that matches the season or occasion. These can be nice homemade gifts for Christmas gifts as well. Just put them into mason jars and tie a pretty bow. Ta-da! Easy, simple, and yummy gifts!

They are awesome snacks! Healthier than chips, so I don`t feel bad snacking on them while studying. Hehe. I would like to add that I find that these taste better than the Trader Joe's ones because the bananas are fresher.

Give these a try. I`m loving them and I know I`ll  make new ones whenever I run out so I`ll always have some in stock as a snack. I just keep them in a sandwich bag in the freezer and pop a few in my mouth whenever I want!


Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas Slices


By: Hearts In My Oven
Yields: ~ 24 slices
Level:  Easy
Total Time: ~ 40 minutes

Materials Needed:
-          double boiler (or two pots with one that fits on top of the other/or one pot and a heat safe bowl)
-          dipping utensils/fork (I used this--only $3 at Michael's)
-          wooden spoon
-          baking sheet
-          parchment paper

Ingredients:
§     1 - 1lb/16 oz milk chocolate bar (I used the Trader Joe's milk chocolate 17.6oz bar)
§     2 medium size bananas
§     Sprinkles (Optional)

Directions:
1.      Line your baking sheet with parchment paper
2.      Slice your bananas into desired size. (My slices were a little less than 1cm.)
3.      Place banana slices on top of baking sheet and put it in the freezer.
4.      Fill bottom pot halfway with water and wait until water is simmering.
5.      Set the other pot/heat-proof bowl on top.
6.      Break your chocolate bar into smaller pieces into the top pot/bowl.
7.      Once the chocolate is melted, take the baking sheet out of the freezer.
8.      Using either dipping tools or a fork, dip bananas into the melted chocolate.
9.      Tap the fork on the side of the bowl a little, so excess chocolate drips back into the bowl.
10.  Set onto parchment paper.
11.  Sprinkle tops with some decorations such as sprinkles. (Optional)
12.  Once all the slices are covered, place baking sheet back into the freezer.
13.  When the chocolate hardens (should be done after 15-20 minutes), place the banana slices in a sandwich bag or freezer safe container.
14.  Freeze and enjoy them frozen! (Do not defrost.)



19 comments:

  1. Frozen chocolate covered bananas are 1 of my favorites!! Growing up my mom would always make these for us in the summer and we'd be sooo psyched for them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I discovered these during the summer! LOL

      Delete
  2. I love Trader Joe's and I love those huge chocolate bars!! Great idea to just make them yourself. Yours turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could say I love Trader Joes! :( when I visit the USA I am so going to Trader Joes! In the mean time I will make these wonderful bananna treats :)YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does seem like a great study snack! My husband is in grad school and working his ass off for finals - I know he'll be hitting the books this weekend, so I'll definitely whip some of these up real quick for him. They look awesome and, most importantly, easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I bet he`ll enjoy these! Although New York is much colder during the winter than it is here in California...LOL

      Delete
  5. I am so jealous. When I go to the States, I am always envious of Trader Joe's. I wish there was one here.
    This looks fantastic! I have always wanted to try to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try. They`re so cute and easy. :)

      Delete
  6. I think I made these once when I was like 13 haha
    I don't even know where I got the idea! And idk why I haven't done it since though. They were super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are cute and delicious! My kids would adore these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just discovered the frozen bananas and love them! It didn't taste like milk chocolate to me - are you sure it isn't a dark chocolate?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been. But, if you`re making your own, like here, you can just choose whichever chocolate you prefer. :)

      Delete

Cooksnaps