Wednesday, September 26, 2012

New York Times' Best Chocolate Chip Cookies


Sorry guys, no new recipe today. Today I just wanted to share my experience with the New York Times' BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.

I mean, with a bold statement like that and being a huge cookie lover myself, I had to try baking them myself!


I tried reallyyy hard to make these 5 inches in diameter. But, they were all 4 inches. Fail.

However, they turned out DELICIOUS! They are crispy around the edges, but softer/chewier on the inside. Plus, they are loaded with chocolate chips! I was going to use a chocolate bar to make chunks, however, I bought a HUGE bag of chocolate chips at Costco. I have so many chocolate chips, I had to use them instead!

It took me awhile to try this recipe because it called for cake and bread flour. Both of which I do not have. For the sake of my baking curiosity, I went out and bought both. ;)

I`m glad I did.

It was kind of cool to just make the cookie dough and to leave it in the fridge for 24 hours. However, only because the next day I just needed to preheat my oven and bake them without any prep work! Win~

I LOVE these cookies! To say they are the BEST or my absolute FAVORITE, I can`t say. No, I don`t have any fancy taste buds. It`s precisely why I can`t make such a proclamation though. I can`t tell if these taste better than other recipes because I just need to compare them side by side. LOL.

Since these cookies are supposed to be very big (5 inches), one half and a glass of milk is usually enough for me!

If I ever get the chance to compare, I`ll come back and let you all know!

I left them in my refrigerator for 24 hours, which is the minimum. Others have left them on much longer, such as 36 or 48 hours. I also sprinkled the dough with a little bit of sea salt before baking. Personally, I like tasting a little bit of the sea salt every once in awhile to contrast the sweetness of the cookie. On the other hand, my boyfriend and sister does not. It`s really just preferences!

I love Lori`s post about this recipe because she tried baking the cookies at different times to compare them!

Here is a short list of other bloggers who I have seen using the same Jacques Torres recipe. (There are plenty, but I didn`t bookmark them all.)




New York Times Best Chocolate Chip Cookie

by Jacques Torres

- Go to this New York Times article to get the recipe.






22 comments:

  1. My husband presented me with this recipe years ago with a request to make them for him. They are my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been needing to make these foreverrrr but-like you-I don't have cake & bread flour. I need to get on that bc YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won`t be disappointed! :D Plus, I`m finding other ways to use up the cake and bread flour.

      Delete
  3. I feel like I read this recipe somewhere too. I have bread flour but have to get cake flour. I'm intrigued to try... my kids love simple chocolate chip cookies most. Thanks for the links. I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good chocolate chip cookie, so I couldn`t stall making these any longer. >_<

      Delete
  4. i'm always sold by recipes that says "best" ^^ so this has to be good ^^ thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I've never come across this recipe before but I HAVE to try it now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I don't know if I could leave the cookie dough in the fridge for 24 hours. I think I would eat it all before I could even put them in the oven. But I think I need to try to make these to teach me self control. Or just make two batches: one for eating and one for baking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw and re-pinned this recipe on Pinterest. They look like the perfect chocolate chip cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these just yesterday and they were DIVINE! I actually made them alongside America's Test Kitchen's "Best chocolate chip cookie ever" and the New York Times cookie was a clear winner! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh really? No, Thank YOU for telling me! I was going to try the america`s test kitchen recipe and compare!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm these cookies look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just baked these and they came out quite tall and fluffy, not flat like yours. Did I do something wrong or do they come out flat after fully cooling down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cookies are pretty thick, but I wouldn't say they are tall. When I made them, the cookies looked about the same when it's cooled and when they come out of the oven.

      Delete

Cooksnaps