Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chocolate Chip Oreo Cream Cookies #fbcookieswap


Today is a very exciting day! Why? Because all around the world, food bloggers are revealing their cookie recipes from the 2012 Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap! The cookie swap is hosted by Lindsay from Love & Olive Oil and Julie from The Little Kitchen. An awesome thing about this cookie swap was the donation for Cookies for Kids' Cancer. Cookies and helping people out...what an wonderful combo!

Thousands of cookies were baked and shipped all over the United States as well as in the United Kingdom! Think about that for a second. How fun does that sound?!

I decided to send these cookies to my 3 cookie swap matches. This recipe is special to me because it`s my very first self-created cookie recipe. The idea has been around to add Oreos into a chocolate chip cookie. I first saw it on Jenny`s blog, Picky Palate.

But, I wanted to create my own cookie recipe since I love cookies and Oreos so darn much. I researched a lot on creating your own cookie recipes. I failed the first time, but I adjusted the recipe got it the second time around. Yay! You don`t even know how happy and excited I was!

I`ve tried the recipe again and it was a success. This is my first year food blogging and this was also the first cookie swap I have ever participated in. Thus, I wanted to send a cookie that was meaningful to me and felt that these were perfect.

The cream cheese in these cookies allow the cookies to stay soft for a long time. I felt that it was perfect to mail since I knew the cookies would take at least 3 days before they arrived at their destinations.

Since this was my first time mailing cookies, I researched a lot on mailing them so they wouldn`t arrive broken. How sad would it be if you got cookies in the mail, but they were broken?!

Hence, I bought these really cute holiday plastic containers at Target and put the cookies in there. Of course, I cushioned the cookies with some holiday tissue paper as well. :) A good tip I learned is to also cushion the box with your cookies inside a bigger box with some packaging paper, packaging peanuts, and/or bubble wrap to ensure your cookies stay fresh and intact when they arrive. 

Time to give a shout out to those who sent me cookies!
Thank you ALL for the cookies! They were awesome. ♥
Now, to the recipe! I know the name of this cookie is a mouthful, sorry about that...

*RECIPE UPDATED: 11.23.13*


Chocolate Chip Oreo Cream Cookies
Hearts In My Oven Original | Yields: ~20 cookies | Level: Easy | Total Time: 50 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
§  8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
§  1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
§  ½ teaspoon baking soda
§  ½ teaspoon kosher salt
§  ¼  cup granulated sugar
§  ¾ cup golden brown sugar
§  1 large egg
§  1 teaspoons vanilla extract
§  2 oz cream cheese, softened.
§  1/3 cup chocolate chips
§  6 Oreo cookies, chopped
Materials Needed:
-          baking sheet(s)
-          baking mat/parchment paper
-          1 small saucepace
-          1 small bowl
-          1 large bowl
-          1 medium bowl
-          2 whisks
-          1 rubber spatula
-          1 cutting board
-          1 knife
-          1 cooling rack

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven 350°F. Line baking sheet with baking mat or parchment paper.
2.        In a small saucepan, brown your butter: Over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisking frequently, let the butter turn into an amber color. It will foam a little. Once it subsides and brown specks appears at the bottom of the pan, it will begin to have a nutty aroma. Once butter turns a light golden brown color, transfer to a bowl to cool. (I stick it in the freezer to make it cool faster.)
3.       In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
4.       In a bowl with electric mixer attachment, mix the brown butter with sugars.
5.       Add egg and vanilla, mix to combine.
6.       Add the dry ingredients (flour, etc) into wet ingredients (butter, etc).
7.       Using a rubber spatula, mix in cream cheese slightly.
8.       Fold in chocolate chips and chopped Oreos.
9.       Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet, about 2 minutes apart each.
10.   Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden.
Let cookies cool slightly on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on cooling rack. 
Cooksnaps