Today is a very exciting day! Why? Because all around the world, food bloggers are revealing their cookie recipes from the 2012 Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap! The cookie swap is hosted by Lindsay from Love & Olive Oil and Julie from The Little Kitchen. An awesome thing about this cookie swap was the donation for Cookies for Kids' Cancer. Cookies and helping people out...what an wonderful combo!
Thousands of cookies were baked and shipped all over the United States as well as in the United Kingdom! Think about that for a second. How fun does that sound?!
I decided to send these cookies to my 3 cookie swap matches. This recipe is special to me because it`s my very first self-created cookie recipe. The idea has been around to add Oreos into a chocolate chip cookie. I first saw it on Jenny`s blog, Picky Palate.
But, I wanted to create my own cookie recipe since I love cookies and Oreos so darn much. I researched a lot on creating your own cookie recipes. I failed the first time, but I adjusted the recipe got it the second time around. Yay! You don`t even know how happy and excited I was!
I`ve tried the recipe again and it was a success. This is my first year food blogging and this was also the first cookie swap I have ever participated in. Thus, I wanted to send a cookie that was meaningful to me and felt that these were perfect.
The cream cheese in these cookies allow the cookies to stay soft for a long time. I felt that it was perfect to mail since I knew the cookies would take at least 3 days before they arrived at their destinations.
Since this was my first time mailing cookies, I researched a lot on mailing them so they wouldn`t arrive broken. How sad would it be if you got cookies in the mail, but they were broken?!
Hence, I bought these really cute holiday plastic containers at Target and put the cookies in there. Of course, I cushioned the cookies with some holiday tissue paper as well. :) A good tip I learned is to also cushion the box with your cookies inside a bigger box with some packaging paper, packaging peanuts, and/or bubble wrap to ensure your cookies stay fresh and intact when they arrive.
Time to give a shout out to those who sent me cookies!
Now, to the recipe! I know the name of this cookie is a mouthful, sorry about that...
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Oreo Cream Cookies
Hearts In My Oven ♥
Yields: ~ 3 dozen/43 cookies
Total Time: ~ 45-55 minutes
- 1-2 baking sheet(s)
- parchment paper/baking mat
- 1 small saucepan
- 1 small bowl
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 2 whisks
- 1 rubber spatula
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
§ 1 cup (2 sticks/16 tablespoons) unsalted butter
§ 2 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
§ 1 teaspoon baking soda
§ 1 teaspoon salt
§ 1/2 cup granulated sugar
§ 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
§ 2 large eggs
§ 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
§ 4 oz cream cheese, softened
§ 2/3 cups chocolate chips
§ 12 Oreo cookies, chopped into pieces
1. In sauce pan, brown the butter. Let the butter melt on medium heat. Watch it carefully as it will brown quickly once the crackling subsides. When butter starts to turn, remove from heat.
2. Transfer to bowl and let it cool.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F.
4. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt with a whisk.
5. In a medium bowl add the granulated and brown sugars, egg, and vanilla extract.
6. Then, add the melted butter and combine with a whisk.
7. Add the wet ingredients (sugars, eggs, etc) to the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, etc) and mix until just combined.
8. Mix in the cream cheese with a rubber spatula. (Mix it enough so that there aren`t any chucks of cream cheese in the dough, but not too much where the cream cheese disappears.)
9. Fold in the chocolate chips and Oreo cookies.
10. Using a medium size cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto baking sheet with at least 2 inches in between each cookie.
11. Bake in oven for about 11-13 minutes or until edges are golden.Allow cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.