Tuesday, December 9, 2014

English Toffee


I made candy!! I actually made these ages ago since my sisters were visiting and we were all talking about our childhood love for Almond Roca. Honestly, I had no idea it was even toffee candy until a few years ago. I just knew it was candy and I was absolutely smitten with them.

English toffee recipes seemed straight-forward enough so I decided on the spot that I was going to make some English toffee that day for us to munch on.

I`ll admit, I love Almond Roca, but this toffee stuff really gets into the grits of your teeth! I also read a lot of comments on ways to reduce this from happening. But, that day I just wanted to make some toffee and wasn`t worrying so much about it. Haha!



Thankfully, this recipe was a winner, because the toffee wasn`t sticking to my teeth like Almond Roca or other English toffee barks! Yayyy!! I was so happy when my sisters commented about it, too!

Now, it`s the Holiday season and these would make for some excellent, homemade treats for your family and friends! You can make a batch, break it into pieces, and wrap them in cellophane bags attached with some colorful ribbons. It doesn`t take a long time to make, which is a super bonus for you if you`re gifting other homemade goodies.

I topped my toffee with some roughly chopped roasted pecans. But, this is really for you to decide! You can add pistachios, almonds, sea salt, etc! I even added broken pieces of Oreo cookies and they were bomb. (How can you go wrong with Oreos, right?)


English Toffee
Adapted: Taste of Home | Yields: ~25-32 servings | Level: Easy | Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:
-          1 cup unsalted butter
-          ½ cup granulated sugar
-          ½ cup brown sugar, packed
-          1 tablespoon light corn syrup
-          ¼  teaspoon salt
-          ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
-          1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
-          Pecans, various nuts, sea salt, etc

Directions:
1.       Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2.       In a large, heavy bottom saucepan, melt the butter.
3.       Add the sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
4.       Cook and stir over medium heat (7-8 minutes), until toffee turns almond color.
5.       Quickly stir in vanilla extract. Continue stirring until it turns a dark amber color.
6.       Remove from heat and pour onto prepared baking sheet.
7.       Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of toffee. Let it sit for about 3 minutes.
8.       Using an offset spatula, spread melted chocolate.
9.       Sprinkle with crushed pecans, Oreos, or sea salt.
10.   Break into pieces.

*Notes:
My baking sheet was a half sheet size. I spread the toffee pretty thinly. Toffee + chocolate was about 1cm. You can making a thicker toffee layer, but serving size will decrease. 
Cooksnaps