Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Banana Crumb Cake


If you love bananas, I`m sure you`re not new to baking with them. I love eating them and I love baking with them, so I have many banana recipes. Luckily for me, my "little" cousin also LOVES bananas. Their family loves banana bread, so I`m constantly sharing new banana bread recipes with them to taste test.

It was my cousin`s birthday and he requested banana cake. At first, it was a brownie he wanted. Then, the day before his birthday party, he called me and decided he wanted a banana cake instead. I had to giggle inside my head. Kids! I love their thought process. Thinking to myself, I knew he was most likely referring to banana bread, not banana cake. Yet, I didn`t inquire any further. I mean, if he says cake, I`ll bake him a cake! Plus, I felt a cake was more birthday-worthy compared to a banana bread loaf.




This cake isn`t a fancy layer cake type, but it`s still a great cake! The banana flavor is totally there and it`s soft and sponge-y. The cake is about an inch or so. I thought it was perfect to give him because I knew his father (my uncle) had ordered a cake and a cheesecake for the party already. (As if he didn`t already have enough cake!) This was just an edible gift from me since I`m poor and didn`t buy him a present. HAHA.

For the sake of taking a blog photo for the cake, I had to cut out 3 square pieces. Yeah, I totally gave the cake to him in squares, like brownies. Hey, the kid was turning 10, so he didn`t care about presentation. It was the taste that matter and he told me it was good! So, yay for banana cake!

Give this recipe a go if you`re looking for a change from your typical banana bread recipes. As a cake, it`s sweeter and not as dense as a loaf. Try it yourself and see if a banana cake is your cup of tea.

Also, I felt like I used the words "love," "banana," and "cake" like a million times in just this post. Sorry. I just want you to eat some yummy banana cake with some crumble on top! :)


Banana Crumble Cake
Adapted: Butter Yum | Yields: 1 8inch square cake, 9 servings | Level: Easy | Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:
Banana Cake:
-          1 cup all purpose flour
-          ¼ teaspoon salt
-          ½ teaspoon baking soda
-          2/3 cup granulated sugar
-          ½ cup sour cream
-          1 large egg
-          2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
-          1 cup really ripe mashed bananas
-          1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Crumble:
-          ¼ cup all purpose flour
-          2 tablespoons sugar
-          2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cubed.

Directions:
Banana Cake:
1.       Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8x8 inch pan with oil, or line with parchment paper.
2.       In a small-medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside until Step 5.
3.       In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the sugar, sour cream, egg, and butter until combined.
4.       Add in the mashed banana and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
5.       Add the dry ingredients (flour, etc) into the batter and mix until combined.
Crumb:
1.       In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar.
2.       Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or the back of a fork.
3.       Sprinkle crumbs on top of cake.
4.       Bake cookies for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

5.       Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing cake from pan to cool completely. 
Cooksnaps