Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Red Velvet Oreo S'mores Cookies


I debated between two recipes to share with you this week and I guess the Valentine's Day theme game was just too strong. I baked some cupcakes for my sister last week, as it was her lovely birthday, and wondered if I should dedicate a post and recipe for her birthday. Ah, well, I decided I should post all my Valentine's day recipes first! Plus, I did a post for her last year and the cupcakes are fit for Spring, not the middle of Winter.

In hindsight, I should`ve added Valentine-themed sprinkles and jimmies on top of these cookies. But, the idea just didn`t occur to me until now. So, totally do that, if you make these! In my book, any red colored food (or any luscious sweets, really) is fit for Valentine's Day. Hey, what can I say, I love me some sweets. ;)

The beauty of these cookies is the fact that they`re not complicated cookies. You don`t need to make a billion different colored royal icing to outline and fill sugar cookies. These red velvet Oreo s'mores cookies are simply drop cookies with a little pizzazz.



They`re simple and they`re lookers, I`d say. Make the dough, roll in some crushed Oreo cookies, bake for 6 minutes, top each cookie with half a marshmallow, bake some more, and then add a piece of milk chocolate on top of each cookie. Ta-da! The warm cookie will slowly melt the chocolate and it`s a sight to see.

Also, warm chocolate and marshmallow means fantastic gooey-ness. Oh yeahhh. I know you want some!

(Oh yeah, please excuse these bad photos...I gave most of these cookies away, so I didn`t have the chance to photograph these beautiful cookies while they basked in natural light. The sun was setting fast as I tried to snap photos. I`m not good with editing photos, so the colors are all wonky.)


Red Velvet Oreo S'mores Cookies
Adapted: How Sweet It Is| Yields: ~15 cookies | Level: Easy | Total Time:  1 hour

Ingredients:
-          8 tablespoons (½ cup) unsalted butter
-          1 ½ cups all purpose flour
-          1 teaspoon baking soda
-          ¼ teaspoon sea salt
-          1/3 cup cocoa powder
-          ¾ cup brown sugar
-          ¼ cup granulated sugar
-          1 large egg
-          1 large egg yolk
-          1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-          ¼ teaspoon distilled white vinegar
-          1 teaspoon red food coloring
-          6 Oreo, coarsely crushed
-          Large marshmallows, halved
-          Milk Chocolate pieces

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet(s) with baking mat or parchment paper.
2.       In a small saucepan, brown your butter: Over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisking occasionally, let the butter turn into an amber color. It will foam. Once it subsides and brown specks appears at the bottom of the pan, it will begin to have a nutty aroma. Once butter turns a light golden brown color, transfer to a medium bowl to cool. (I stick it in the freezer to make it cool faster--about 5-10 minutes, whisking every 3-5 minutes.)
3.       In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
4.       In a bowl with an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, combine together the sugars.
5.       Add the brown butter. Combine well.
6.       Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and white vinegar. Mix.
7.       Add the red food coloring and mix until incorporated.  
8.       Mix in the flour mixture until combined.
9.       In a plate, place crushed Oreo cookies. Use a cookie scoop to scoop cookie dough into about 1 inch balls.
10.   Roll top half into crushed Oreos.
11.   Place them onto prepared baking sheet, about 2 minutes apart each.
12.   Bake for 11-15 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden. Halfway through the baking time, add half a large marshmallow, cut side down, on top of each cookie. Continue baking until cookies are done.
13.   Remove cookies from oven and immediately add a chocolate piece on top of each marshmallow.
14.   Let cookies cool slightly on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on cooling rack.


*Notes:
-          Any kind of chocolate sandwich cream cookies will do, instead of Oreos.

-          The number of marshmallows and chocolate pieces varies depending on the number of cookies you end up with. Each cookie needs HALF (1/2) of a marshmallow + 1 chocolate piece. 
Cooksnaps