Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Buttermilk Brownies


Are you all sick of Valentine's Day treats/posts yet? I hope not. But, even if you are, this doesn't have to be one. You can see this post as if it`s some regular ol` brownie post instead. :)

Regardless of whether or not I have a Valentine, I still love looking at Valentine's day treats and decorations. Mainly, because I love looking at all the hearts everywhere. If you cannot tell already, *coughstitleofblogcoughs* I love hearts and cute things. Hehe~ All the pink and cuteness just makes me smile.


I had bought buttermilk for the intention of making muffins for a bake sale I was doing, yet, I decided on a recipe where it wasn`t needed. So, I had buttermilk in the fridge and wanted to find some use for it before it went bad. I used some to make delicious blueberry and chocolate chip pancakes, but I still had so much leftover. I quickly searched through my saved recipes and landed on one for buttermilk brownies.

I happen to also have some Reese's peanut butter cups and decided I could throw these into the batter as well. I mean, why not?

This recipe produces a cake-like brownie than a dense, fudge-like one. It tastes like a yummy chocolate cake. So, if you`re the type who loveslovesloves dense and fudgy brownies, you may skip over this one. Unless, you want a chocolate cake that is, which is good, too. If however, you prefer cake-like brownies, you`ll enjoy these. 

Not being a huge brownie or chocolate cake fanatic, I`ve caught myself eating this brownie more often than I`ll like to admit.

If you need a quick Valentine's Day treat, this will suffice! Just add some heart sprinkles and you`re done. If not, just enjoy the chocolate glory!




Buttermilk Brownies
Adapted from: BHG | Yields: 24 servings | Level: Easy | Total Time: about 70 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
Brownies:
§  2 cups all purpose flour
§  2 cups granulated sugar
§  1 teaspoon baking soda
§  1/4 teaspoon salt
§  1 cup water
§  1 cup (16 tbsps) unsalted butter
§  1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, shifted
§  2 large eggs
§  1/2 cup buttermilk
§  1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
§  5-6 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, chopped
Chocolate Frosting:
§  1/4 cup unsalted butter
§  3 tablespoons cocoa powder, shifted
§  3 tablespoons buttermilk
§  2 1/4 cups powder sugar, shifted
§  1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Materials Needed:
-          13x9x2 inch baking pan
-          parchment paper
-          2 whisks
-          1 medium/large bowl
-          2 medium saucepans
-          1 wooden spoon
-          2 rubber spatulas
-          cooling rack
-          stovetop needed

Directions:
Brownies:
1.      Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of your pan with parchment paper.
2.      In bowl of your electric mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt with a whisk.
3.      Over medium heat, mix together the water, butter, and cocoa powder in a saucepan, while stirring constantly, until just boiling.
4.      Remove saucepan from heat and add to flour mixture (flour, sugar, etc). Beat until incorporated.
5.      Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
6.      Transfer 3/4 of  the batter into baking pan, add the Reese's peanut butter cups on top, and pour remaining batter on top of candy.
7.      Bake for 34-36 minutes; toothpick inserted in the middle will come out clean when done.
8.      Cool on wire rack.
Chocolate Frosting:
9.      In a medium saucepan,  heat on medium heat the butter, cocoa powder and buttermilk until everything is melted together. Remove from heat.
10.  Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth with a rubber spatula.
11.  Spread frosting on top of brownies.
Cooksnaps