Friday, May 31, 2013

Strawberry Cake


I`m currently 2 weeks away from graduating from my university! Frankly, I`m terrified of the world out there.  But, I`m hoping it won`t be too bad. Haha. One thing I am definitely sad about is that I will have to move out of my college apartment, which I have been living in for 2 years now. I got used to the oven here and prefer it over the one I have at home.

Also, moving back home? Um, I have no idea how I am going to adjust to that...but we will see how it goes. I`m afraid of what`s going to happen to my baking addiction once I go home. All my ingredients and stuff will  have to be reorganized according to how my mom likes it. I kind of like the system I have now. LOL.

ALSO. I don`t know if you know, but in college, you have a LOT of free time. I mean it gets taken up by extracurricular stuff and hanging out with friends...but you`re not really doing a lot of school work. Thus, I had enough free time to teach myself about baking and started baking like a madwoman!


Now, I will admit, I am definitely addicted to baking. If I don`t bake at least once a week, I have huge urges to bake throughout the week. But, I`m sure I`m not the only one that feels this way!

However, my point is that once I move back home and work full time, I don`t know how when I`ll be able to bake. I always bake randomly throughout the day, whenever the feeling strikes. It`s a wonderful feeling actually!

Strawberries are in season! One of my favorite things about the summer season are the abundance of berries. I love all sorts of berries and have a ton of berries recipes saved for my future baking adventures.

This is a simple and good cake. It was on my baking list for awhile, but it took me awhile to get to it. I had a potluck one day and decided to bake this cake since I had so many strawberries this particular week. I thought it looked really nice having strawberries studded on the top of it. :)

 Strawberry Cake
Adapted from: Martha Stewart | Yields: 1 - 11inch cake | Level: Easy | Total Time: 80 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
§  1 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons cake flour, shifted
§  1 1/2 tsp baking powder
§  1/2 teaspoon salt
§  1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
§  ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
§  1 cup sugar
§  1 large egg
§  1/2 cup milk
§  1 teaspoon vanilla
§  1 pound strawberries, hulled + quartered

Materials Needed:
-          1- 11inch tart pan (you can use a 10 inch round pan, too)
-          parchment paper
-          1 large bowl with mixer attachment
-          1 medium bowl
-          1 whisk
-          1 rubber spatula
-          1 cutting board
-          1 knife

Directions:
1.      Preheat your oven to 350F.
2.      Line the bottom of your tart pan and grease the sides of the pan.
3.      In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
4.      In the large bowl of your electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy on medium-high speed (about 3 minutes).
5.      Add in egg, milk, and vanilla and combine on low speed.
6.      Add in the flour mixture slowly until combined.
7.      Pour into prepared pan.
8.      Top the batter with strawberries with cut sides facing into the batter.
9.      Bake for 10 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees, and bake for another 50-60 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
10.  Cool cake on cooling rack. 


Cooksnaps