Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (Gluten Free)


I will confess, I have been eating cookies everyday for the past 3 weeks. It's cookies season, right? It's both a terrible and wonderful thing at the same time. But, I'll tell you one thing, I'm still in love with cookies.

I have a co-worker who can't eat wheat, so I thought this was a perfect opportunity for me to test gluten free recipes! :D I also happen to have a huge jar of almond butter, so I thought this recipe was perfect.




I want to like almond butter, but I guess it's not for me. LOL.  I bought a jar because I had these awesome almond butter cookies from the Great Food Blogger cookie swap last year that I absolutely LOVED!!!

I tried a spoonful of the stuff everyone is obsessed with, but, um, it's not something I love. BUT IN COOKIES....gosh...that's a different story! These cookies are amazing! They're so good, I just kept stuffing myself with them. :)

To be safe, I used gluten, nut, and soy free chocolate chips by a brand named Enjoy Life. If you want to bake something sweet for a gluten free friend or family, DEFINITELY try this recipe. This is actually one of those special cookies that stood out to me and the fact that it's also a gluten free recipe is a huge bonus!

These are thin and crisp and oh so wonderful. They break easily, so be careful. I squeezed the dough together when I was scooping them into balls to bake. Don't worry, they'll bake up fine!


Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (GF)
Adapted: Pastry Affair | Yields: ~ 18 cookies| Level: Easy | Total Time:  45 minutes

Ingredients:
§  1 cup creamy almond butter
§  2/3 cup sugar
§  1 large egg
§  ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
§  1 teaspoon baking soda
§  ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
§  ¼ cup old fashioned oats
§  ¼ cup chocolate chunks (I used enjoy life, which are gluten, nut, and soy free)
Materials Needed:
-          baking sheet(s)
-          parchment paper/baking mat
-          1 medium mixing bowl
-          1 rubber spatula
-          cooling rack

Directions:

1.        Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2.       In a medium bowl, beat together almond butter and sugar until combined.
3.       Add in the egg, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combined.
4.       Using a rubber spatula, fold in oats and chocolate.
5.       Use a cookie scoop to scoop cookie dough onto baking sheet, with 2 inches in between each.
6.       Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool down on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on cooling rack.

*Notes:

-          These cookies are crumbly than most. (Hence, fragile.)
Cooksnaps