Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Blueberry Madeleines


Did you know I take at least 10 minutes to read a menu to decide what to get when I eat out at a restaurant? Well, for the exception of fast food joints like In-N-Out. I`m completely serious. Even when I`ve been a gazillion times before, I still stare at the menu. I bet my waiters/waiteresses hate me. I`m one of those people they check up on like three times because I`m always like: "Sorry!! Just a few more minutes!"

To be fair though, I go out to eat to 1) eat delicious food and 2) catch up and talk to people. It`s hard to chit chat while reading the menu to decide what you`re going to get! I realized this happens to be more often than I would like to admit. This totally did not happen to me just last week...

Thankfully (or is it?), I`m always much too full from my meal to order dessert. Because, seriously? That would take me even longer to decide. It`s a good thing I make desserts at home all the time!! This always gives me a wonderful excuse to eat desserts for breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, and snacks in between. Hehe.




Madeleine cookies are so pretty and elegant-looking. I always adore seeing them in the bakery windows. I`m not sure why I don`t see them around the blogosphere as much. They`re incredible simple to make, just like muffins. I`m assuming it`s because many are afraid they`ll stick to the pan or their madeleines will not have the classic dome shape.

No need to worry. I`ve made madeleines many times before and they all turned out beautiful. The trick it to let the batter chill in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight. The leavening agent, such as the baking powder in this recipe, will mix and mingle with the wet ingredients to help produce that classic dome shape.

I prefer to scoop the batter onto a well greased/floured pan and then cover it with plastic wrap before placing it in the fridge to chill. Normally, recipes instruct you to plastic wrap the batter and scoop into pan when you`re ready to bake. I`ve tried both ways and I much prefer the former method. It`s less messier and much simpler to just preheat oven and stick the pan in the oven the next day.

I use a nonstick metal madeleine mold and never had issues with them being stuck. I use cooking spray, too. If you go the butter and flour method, I`ve read that it helps to chill the mold after, so the butter hardens before you scoop the batter onto it.

I added a simple lemon glaze


Blueberry Madeleines
Adapted: Joy of Baking | Yields: 12 madeleines| Level: Easy | Total Time:  35 minutes + at least 1 hour chilling time | Print

Ingredients:
-          ¼ cup unsalted butter
-          ¾ cup all purpose flour
-          ¼ teaspoon baking powder
-          dash of salt
-          2 large eggs, room temperature
-          ¼ cup brown sugar
-          1 tablespoon granulated sugar
-          ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
-          1/3 cup frozen wild blueberries, dusted with 1 teaspoon flour
Lemon Glaze:
-          ½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
-          2 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:
1.       Grease your madeleine molds: with cooking spray or butter and dusted with flour. Set aside.
2.       In a small saucepan, brown your butter: Over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisking occasionally, let the butter turn into an amber color. It will foam. Once it subsides and brown specks appears at the bottom of the pan, it will begin to have a nutty aroma. Once butter turns a light golden brown color, transfer to a medium bowl to cool. (I stick it in the freezer to make it cool faster--about 10 minutes, whisking every 3-5 minutes.)
3.       In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4.       In bowl with electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar (medium-high speed) until thick and pale (about 5-8 minutes).
5.       Beat in vanilla extract.
6.       Shift in 1/3 of the flour mix.  Use a rubber spatula to fold flour mixture in. Repeat with the rest of the flour mixture. (Do not over mix!)
7.       Fold about ½ cup of flour mixture into warm butter.
8.       Then fold everything back into the batter.
9.       Using a cookie scoop, scoop batter onto prepared pan.
10.   Spray a sheet of plastic film with oil and cover madeleines.
11.   Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or 3 hours to overnight.
12.   When ready to bake, remove madeleines from fridge. Preheat oven to 375°F.
13.   Press frozen wild blueberries into batter.
14.   Bake for 6-9 minutes. If edges are browning too quickly, reduce temperature to 350°F.
Lemon Glaze:
15.   Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice together. Add more powdered sugar if you want it to be thicker.
16.   Drizzle over cooled madeleines.

*Notes:
-          After 6 minutes, I reduced the temperature to 350°F and baked for an extra 2-3 minutes.
I used frozen wild blueberries because they are smaller and have less liquid. Add them to the batter frozen so blueberries will not bleed into batter.
Cooksnaps