Wednesday, July 23, 2014

White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Ice Cream


July is National Ice Cream Month, so what a perfect excuse for me to share an ice cream recipe! Sunday was also National Ice Cream Day. I completely forgot about it, but I guess my heart knew, since I went and got some Bi-Rite Creamery ice cream that day. Three scoops of ice cream! I am an ice cream lover after all.

I regret not making more ice cream this summer. Of course, that`s not stopping me from eating my far share of it. There are many so creative ways to make and eat ice cream. Where I live, I love going to this place that makes ice cream using liquid nitrogen. Another popular place has ice cream sandwiched between two buns similar to donuts! They`re called milky buns. Plus, gelato in popsicle form! As an ice cream obsessed foodie, I die from excitement each time I visit these trendy places. Haha! Do you have anything similar where you live?

I`ve been dreaming of making this ice cream for over a year. I love the Haagen-Dazs version of it, so I wanted to make my own at home. It took me so long since there are so many steps. You need to make the white chocolate ice cream base, the raspberry swirl, and the truffles. But, after making everything, it didn`t even take that long! You make everything a day ahead to chill, so it`s painless work!



This ice cream is love. I literally ate the whole thing myself. I was smitten with the truffles and wanted it in everythinggg. Seriously. I couldn`t have been happier with the results! Plus, you make more than the small pint of Haagen-Dazs ice cream you buy at the store. So, it was a total win! :)

Also, photographing ice cream during the summer....ugh. It can be so painful. Thankfully, I managed to get some decent photos to use and blog about. I would`ve been so devastated if I couldn`t share with you all this fantastic recipe!

Hope you`re having a fun summer! I`ve been practicing my photography skills outside of just food pictures this summer, which makes me happy. Plus, I treated myself to a new lens! Anyways, delicious ice cream right here, so do try it for yourself. ;D

White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Ice Cream
Adapted: Sweet Cream & Sugar Cones, Food, Scoop Adventures| Yields: about 1 ½ quart | Level: Medium | Total Time:  2.5 hours | Print

Ingredients:
White Chocolate Ice Cream:
-          5 large egg yolks
-          ¼ cup granulated sugar
-          8 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
-          2 cups heavy cream
-          1 cup whole milk
-          ¼ teaspoon salt
-          ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
Raspberry Sauce:
-          ½ cup raspberries
-          1 teaspoon corn syrup
-          ½ tablespoon lemon juice
-          1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 tsp water
-          1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Truffles:
-          ¼ cup heavy cream
-          ¾ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
White Chocolate Ice Cream:
1.       In a large bowl, place chopped white chocolate into bowl. Set a fine mesh strainer on top and set aside.
2.       In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks lightly.
3.       Whisk half of the sugar in. Set aside.
4.       In a saucepan, on medium heat, heat together the cream, milk, salt, and rest of the sugar.
5.       Reduce the heat once it starts to simmer.
6.       While whisking the egg yolks, slowly pour in half of the milk mixture.
7.       Transfer everything back into the saucepan.
8.       While stirring constantly, heat the mixture until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from heat.
9.       Pour the milk mixture over the strainer into the bowl of white chocolate.
10.   Stir to melt the white chocolate and allow mixture to cool.
11.   Cover bowl with plastic wrap touching the surface of the cream mixture. Chill until completely cold, preferably overnight.
12.   Right before freezing, stir in the vanilla extract.
Raspberry Swirl:
13.   Press raspberries through a fine mesh strainer to get as much juice as you can.
14.   Add corn syrup, lemon juice, and cornstarch mixture.
15.   Pulse everything in a food processor until smooth.
16.   Heat mixture in a saucepan pan, while stirring often. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
17.   Transfer to a bowl and chill until you churn the ice cream (at least 1-2 hours).
Truffles:
18.   In a large mug/bowl, microwave heavy cream until hot.
19.   Add in ¼ cup of chocolate chips. Let it sit to melt.
20.   Then, stir until chocolate is melted. Add in another ¼ cup of chocolate chips. Stir to melt and repeat with the last ¼ cup of chocolate chips. Reheat in microwave for 8-10 seconds, if necessary.
21.   Transfer onto a small rimmed plate, lined with parchment paper. Spread so it's even. Chill until hardens. Cut into small cubes before you churn the ice cream.
Churning:
22.   Churn ice cream mixture according to your manufacturer's instructions.
23.   Scoop some ice cream into your container, drizzle the raspberry swirl over ice cream. Add some truffles. Layer with more ice cream. Repeat process, ending with ice cream. Freeze until it reaches your desired consistency.

*Notes:
-          Remember to stir in the vanilla extract into ice cream mixture before churning!!
-          I used a small plate to make the truffles. Since it's going into the ice cream and you'll be cutting them into small cubes (like dicing), it does not need to be thick. Probably about 3-5cm in height.

-          If the truffles start to melt while you're cutting them, chill until it's cold again. 
Cooksnaps