Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Strawberry Apple Crumble Pie


I must confess, I made these pies for Pi day back in March. And I`m posting them in May. Normally, I feel too lazy to bake pie for Pi day, but when I found out this year was extra special because it was 3.1415 (this year added to the irrational number perfectly!), I knew I had to bake pie!

It was a coincidence that I had fresh strawberries and thought I would make some strawberry and apple pies! Since I decided at the last minute to bake a pie for Pi day, I didn`t want to worry about chilling pie dough and then roll it out...so I used Joy's recipe for a crust that you make and simply press into the pie pan. Honestly, I have been meaning to try the crust recipe since I got her book years ago. Better late than never!

Even though I made these for Pi day, they`ll be great for the upcoming Memorial weekend! And definitely for the 4th of July. If you`re attending a BBQ or potluck event, pies are great for sharing. The fruit filling brings out a great summer vibe.




So, let me just tell you...strawberries and apples totally go well together in a pie! And, I love crumble everything, hence the crumble topping. Plus, no need to roll dough! I used frozen pie crust to make the letters I placed on top of the pies. Definitely not necessary at all, but do brush it with an egg wash if you do decide to do the same. :)

This recipe can make a 10 inch pie, however, I made two smaller pies (7 inch and a 5 inch, 1.5 inch in depth), which is why you see two pies in the picture. The recipe for the crust is enough for one 10 inch pie.

My parents aren`t into pies, which is crazy, so I basically ate all of it. No regrets. Each slice was a great, delicious heaven made of strawberries and apples. For one pie, I did add some blueberries along with the strawberries. You can definitely do a mixed berry apple pie, too!


By the way, I`m ashamed I have not kept up with the food blogging world...however I am still baking and I love sharing the recipes. I hope you are still enjoying them, even though I barely promote them on social media. Whenever I post on social media about a recipe more than once, I feel too much like a brand trying to sell people something. Haha! I know, that`s the point to get page views...but I`ll do it when I feel up to it! Thank goodness blogging isn`t my full time job, I`ll be terrible at it! Hehe. I apologize for not keeping up with making the print pages for the recipes, too. Hopefully, I can catch up on that soon! If you need them, let me know! I usually read recipes from my tablet to save paper and ink, but we are all different. Just let me know if you prefer to have print recipe links. ;)

Anyhoo, it`s PIE TIME! Look at the beauty below. Helloooo.



Strawberry Apple Crumble Pie
Adapted: Joy the Baker | Yields: 2 six inch pies/ 1 ten inch pie | Level: Easy-Medium | Total Time: 2 hours

Ingredients:
Crust:
-          2 ½ cup all purpose flour
-          1 teaspoon salt
-          3 tablespoons granulated sugar
-          ¼ teaspoon baking powder
-          6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
-          1 oz cream cheese, cold
-          3 tablespoons whole milk, cold
-          ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons canola oil
Strawberry Apple Filling:
-          2-3 large apples, chopped
-          2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
-          ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
-          ½ cup granulated sugar
-          1 tablespoons lemon juice
Crumble Topping:
-          1 cup dark/golden brown sugar
-          ½  cup all purpose flour
-          ½  old fashioned oats
-          ¼  teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          ½ cup unsalted butter, cold & cubed

Directions:
1.       Line bottom of pie plates with parchment paper, grease sides and bottoms of pan(s) well.
2.       Preheat oven to 350°F.
Crust:
3.       Cut butter into very small cubes and place in freezer for 10 minutes to get really cold.
4.       In a medium bowl, whisk flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder together.
5.       Add the very cold butter and cream cheese into the flour mixture and use your hands to work everything together until mixture is shaggy-looking.
6.       In a small bowl, whisk together milk and oil. Then, add this to flour/butter mixture, using a fork, until dry and wet ingredients are incorporate (it'll look shaggy, not a dough ball).
7.       Press into pie pan on the bottom and up the sides. Place everything in freezer as you work on filling.
Strawberry Apple Filling:
8.       In a medium size bowl, toss the apples, strawberries, brown sugar, sugar, and lemon juice together. Set aside.
Crumble Topping:
9.       In a medium size bowl, whisk together brown sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon.
10.   Using a pastry cutter, or back of fork, cut in the cold butter.
11.   Take crust out of freezer, transfer filling into crust. Sprinkle the crumble topping on top of pie.
12.   Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until crust is golden.
13.    Let pie cool on cooling rack for 30 minutes before serving. Keep pie chilled if not consumed in a day.

*Notes:                                                                                                                         

-          You can use all fresh strawberries, or a mixture. 

Cooksnaps