Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Banana Peanut Butter French Toast (For 2)


Sometimes I really wonder how Americanized I am. The term can be very complicated, depending on the topic, but I`m not here to complicate things.

I have never tried french toast until a year ago. I mentioned before how I never had egg salad or made banana bread until this year. I love baking because I get to experiment and try all of these new foods for the first time. Food that I have heard about and seen, but never had the opportunity to try.


Totally weird since I have lived here all my life and these foods are everywhere. Anyways, the topic today is french toast! Sometimes I love it, sometimes I just think it`s meh. I think it depends on how I`m feeling and how it`s prepared.

My boyfriend doesn`t really like French toast, but he doesn`t dislike it either. Now, I know this blog is all about making food for those we love, but, I wanted him to like french toast. At least, THIS french toast because it has peanut butter and bananas.

And you know bananas are good for you. ;D I try to stick fruits in my food any way I can because I don`t eat any by themselves. I`m trying to be healthy here people.

I originally came along this on Healthy Food for Living blog. It was french toast for one! I was searching for recipes to use 2 bananas that were ripening, but I didn`t have enough to make banana bread. Haha~ So I changed the recipe a little and adapted it for two.

This french toast is GOOD. Like, really good. Cheap to make, too (if you have the ingredients already--which I did). I bet if you ordered this at a restaurant, they`ll charge you like 8 bucks. Maybe.

The only thing is my boyfriend and I aren`t used to eating french toast often and we don`t eat a lot of decadent, overly sweet foods often. Yeah, I bake a lot, but I`m not the type to down a double chocolate layer cake with chocolate frosting or make a kind of person.

We both thought this was REALLY good from an objective point of view, but the syrup was too sweet for me. BUT, (yes, this is an important but) I don`t eat my pancakes and waffles with syrup. Hence, why I thought this was too sweet. However, if you are normal and eat your pancakes and waffles with syrup, then I can guarantee that you`ll love this!

Maybe it`s my Asian side? Or, it`s because I never ate things like this while growing up. Who knows? I love sweets and baked goods, but certain foods, I don`t know why I find them too sweet. LOL. I DO know how to be objective when tasting food though~

If you love french toast, or know people who do, you/them will LOVE this!

Banana Peanut Butter French Toast


Yields: 2 servings
Level: Easy
Total Time: ~35 minutes

Materials Needed:
-          2 Small/Medium skillets
-          1 knife/butter knife
-          1 Small bowl
-          2 Medium bowls/deep dished plates
-          2 Whisks
-          Wooden spoon
-          1 Cutting board
-          1 Frying spatula

Ingredients:
For the French Toast: (Adapted from: Healthy Food For Living)
§  4 slices of bread (the type is all up to you)
§  1 1/2 medium bananas, mashed (save the 1/2 for the syrup)
§  1/4 cup whole milk
§  1/4 cup heavy cream
§  2 large eggs, beaten
§  1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
§  1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
§  2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
§  1 cup rice krispies, crushed finely
§  2 teaspoons unsalted butter
For the Peanut Butter syrup: (Adapted from: Picky Palate)
§  3 tablespoons maple syrup
§  2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
§  1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
§  3 tablespoon heavy cream
§  1/2 Medium banana, thinly sliced

Directions:
For French Toast:
1.       Spread the mashed bananas on one side for 2 slices of bread and sandwich together using the other 2 slices.
2.       In a medium bowl, whisk milk,  cream, beaten eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon and peanut butter.
3.       Using a deep bowl  or deep dished plate with at least 1 inch edges around (ex. Pie plate), pour the milk mixture from Step 2 into the bowl.
4.       In another deep bowl/plate, transfer crushed rice krispies.
5.       Soak each side of the sandwich into the milk mixture, for about 35 seconds.
6.       Meanwhile, melt a skillet and heat to medium heat while waiting for sandwich to soak. (Keep an eye out for sandwich)
7.       After sandwich is soaked, dip into the bowl with the crushed rice krispies to coat both sides of the sandwich.
8.       Fry each side of the sandwich in the skillet until each side lightly golden.
9.       Repeat steps 5-8 for other sandwich.
For Peanut Butter Syrup:
10.    In a medium skillet over medium heat, mix together syrup and peanut butter.
11.   Add vanilla extract and heavy cream.
12.   Let the syrup bubble until it thickens, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon.
13.   Add banana slices and stir to coat them in the peanut butter syrup.
14.   Serve syrup over banana french toasts. 

14 comments:

  1. this looks seriously decadent!!! ^^ bananas in french toast sounds wonderful already! i'd skip the syrup ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great with or without the syrup. :)

      Delete
  2. So glad I stumbled upon your blog!! It's so yummy :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this looks so good! I adore French toast.
    BTW, I have nominated you for the Inspirational blogger award :) See this link for details http://chezsasha.com/2012/09/21/inspirational-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a syrup person either especially store bought ones are way too sweet and seems like destroying the whole flavor of the food. Anyway, but kids love French Toast and we make it once in a while (alternate pancakes, waffles, French toasts, pastries..etc). Banana & PB is a great idea. Mine is just simple kind and we can make it better! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I would love to see your french toast recipe. :D

      Thank you. I hope you had a great weekend with your family~

      Delete
  5. Pancakes and waffles with no syrup? Whaaat? This looks fantastic! I also do that "well there's fruit in it, I'm making it healthy" haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peanut butter syrup? OMG I think I am going to just keep some of this in my fridge for forever to use on just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. That would be a wonderful idea! Just like quadtriple this recipe. XD

      Delete
  7. So, in general, I have the same attitude as your boyfriend towards french toast. THIS french toast, however, looks AMAZINGGGG!!! *drool*

    ReplyDelete

Cooksnaps