Sunday, September 29, 2013

Chocolate Pudding Pie


Do you guys notice anything different? Yep, NEW BLOG DESIGN!!! That`s why I`ve been missing lately. I had like 2 posts planned before this one, but never got around to it. I have a mental posting schedule, but I don`t ever write my posts in advance, just to keep this more real. Haha. I did the layout by myself, so let`s say it took many days. Once again, my sister drew my oven and little graphics since I`m not talented enough to draw. I can only sketch up concepts for her to carry out my ideas. Lol. It took days for me to do the graphics and coding for this, so hopefully you guys like it! If you have any issues, feel free to let me know! :)

Over the summer one of my sisters (the one that drew my oven logo) had many requests for desserts. She is a ginormous pie lover. And a chocolate pudding lover. The idea of having them both in one dessert made her so excited, I knew I had to make this for her. 



Personally, I don`t like pudding very much, or the chocolate variety. On the other hand, my sister can down those chocolate pudding cups my parents buy for her from Costco. I DO make food for those I love, so I couldn`t turn down this request, either. This pudding pie is basically a chocolate crust with a chocolate pudding filling and topped with a thin layer of whipped cream. 

This was my first time making chocolate curls, so they`re not so pretty...I was able to make the curls, but when I wanted to top the pie with them, the curls were so delicate, they broke. I was sad, but they still look good on the pie. I dusted the tops with a little cocoa powder and everything turned into such a pretty pie! 

Luckily, it tasted as good as it looks! My sister said the pudding is definitely better than those packaged pudding from the stores and enjoyed this pie completely. That`s a win in my book. :) Making your own chocolate pudding at home has its rewards. 


Chocolate Pudding Pie
Adapted: Ezra Pound Cake | Yields: 8 servings; 1-9inch pie| Level: Intermediate | Total Time: 95minutes + 2 hours chilling time | Print 

Ingredients:
Crust:
§  1 ½ cups Oreo crumbs
§  3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
§  2 tablespoons sugar
Chocolate Pudding Filling:
§  2 ½ cups whole milk
§  5 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
§  4 large egg yolks
§  ¾ cup granulated sugar
§  3 tablespoons cornstarch
§  ½ teaspoon salt
§  1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Whipped Cream:
§  1 cup heavy whipping cream
§  1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Chocolate Curls:
§  Dark chocolate bark, like Ghirardelli's 70% dark cacao
Materials Needed:
-          9inch pie pan
-          parchment paper
-          saucepan
-          1 wooden spoon
-          1 whisk
-          1 large bowl w/ electric mixer
-          1 rubber spatula
-          1 off-set spatula
-          cutting board
-          1 vegetable peeler
-          1 pastry bag/sandwich bad
-          1 tall cup
-          tip of your choice
-          cooling rack
-          refrigerator
-          stove

Directions:
Crust:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°F.
2.       Line the bottom of your pie plate with parchment paper and grease the sides of the pan.
3.        In a medium-large mixing bowl, combine the crumbs, butter, and sugar until all crumbs are coated with butter.
4.       Press crumbs into the pie plate at the button and along the sides.
5.       Bake crust in preheated oven for 5 minutes. (It might puff up a little, which is fine.)
6.       Set aside to cool on wire rack.
Chocolate Pudding Filling:
7.       In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine the whole milk and chopped chocolate. Using a wooden spoon, stir occasionally until chocolate melts. Remove from heat.
8.       In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks and sugar until light and pale yellow.
9.       Whisk in the cornstarch, salt, and vanilla.
10.   While whisking the egg mixture, gradually pour about half of the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Return everything back into saucepan.
11.   Heat the saucepan on medium heat. Stirring occasionally, cook the mixture until it thickens and bubbles slightly.
12.   Transfer mixture over your baked crust. Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface and chill for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Whipped Cream:
13.   In a bowl with electric mixer and the whip attachment, beat the whipping cream on medium until it thickens. Gradually add the sugar and increase the speed until stiff peaks form.
14.   Using a off-set spatula, spread about 1/3 of the whipped cream on top of pie (make a thin layer).
15.   Scoop the rest into a pastry bag/sandwich bag with desired tip.
16.   Pipe whipped cream around the sides.
Chocolate Curls:
17.   Using a vegetable peeler, crave the chocolate bark to form curls. (Microwave for like 3-5 seconds to let the chocolate warm up a little to form smoother curls. But, be careful not to melt!)
18.   Sprinkle over the whipped cream.
19.   Chill pie until ready to serve.

Cooksnaps