Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Overnight Fruit Oatmeal


I don`t know about you, but I love make ahead breakfasts. Last week for Breakfast Tuesday, I gave you Overnight Blueberry French Toast. So, you can tell I`m loving these overnight breakfast ideas! I`m wrapping up September`s Breakfast Tuesdays series, since this is the LAST Tuesday of this month!

Can you believe that, though? It`s almost October! Summer is over and Fall is already here. Despite the heat, I`m going to miss Summer. A lot. I`m not ready to wake up to cold floors or freezing facet water when I brush my teeth in the morning. Plus, I get cold ridiculously easy. Did you know I sleep with like 4 blankets during Winter? I`m talking about 2 comforters and 2 fleece blankets here. I'd be wearing pj pants and long sleeve shirts and still be freezing my butt off. And, if you didn`t know already, I live in Southern California, where it`s sunny, all the time (well, almost). It`s crazy.

Ahem, anyways...so I`m loving this oatmeal. I was never really a fan of oatmeal growing up. My aunt once made me instant oatmeal before and it was just blahh. In an attempt to make healthier and really easy breakfasts, I wanted to try this out. I`ve made this recipe, using different fruits, many times already! I don`t even need to do anything in the morning. I just grab a spoon. When I know I`ll be rushing for breakfast, I usually make this the night before. This way, when I wake up, I grab a spoon, dig in while I get ready. I also eat it while driving to wherever I need to be.  


Let`s sum up my previous Breakfast Tuesdays post, shall we?

First, I showed you Nutella Stuffed French Toast:

Then, there was these amazing breakfast quesadillas:


Because I`m currently in love with French Toast, we have more of its greatness:

For this overnight oatmeal, feel free to add whatever fruits you have on hand! I used Kirkland`s Vanilla Soymilk and Mountain High Low-Fat Vanilla Yogurt. If you use these specific ingredients, without any fruits, this oatmeal is less than 200 calories per serving.

I`ve also used flavored yogurts with success as well. Take this recipe as a base and play around with your favorite fruit combos. :) For the one pictured in this post, I used blueberries and nectarine and topped with some shredded coconut.


Overnight Fruit Oatmeal
Adapted: Two Peas| Yields: 1 serving| Level: Easy | Total Time: 1hour 45 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
Oatmeal:
§  ¼ cup old fashioned oats
§  ½ cup Kirkland Vanilla Soymilk
§  ¼ cup Vanilla Yogurt
§  dash ground cinnamon
§  ½ cup blueberries, divided ¼c.+ 1/4c.
§  1 nectarine, chopped
Other Additions:
§  1 banana, sliced
§  1 apple, chopped
§  1 cup strawberries, hulled, sliced
Toppings:
§  Freshly shredded coconut
§  honey, drizzle
§  agave nectar, drizzle
Materials Needed:
-          1 mason jar/bowl/large mug
-          1 spoon
-          refrigerator
Directions:
1.        In a mason jar/mug/bowl, combine oats, soymilk, yogurt, cinnamon, and half the fruits.
2.       Stir everything together with a spoon
3.       Refrigerate overnight.
4.       In the morning, add more fruits and eat.

*Notes:
-          Feel free to add any additional fruits you have on hand
-          You can substitute any kind of milk: whole, almond, or coconut milk.

-          You can substitute with other yogurts, such as Greek yogurt.
Cooksnaps