Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Apple Nutella Bread Pudding


I`ve mentioned on several posts how I`m currently obsessed with French toast. Well, I`m also currently obsessed with bread pudding, too. Honestly, I never had bread pudding before, not until my friend in college gave me extras when she made it. At first, I assumed I wouldn`t like it, but when I had my first bite, I just kept going back for more.

Ever since then, I`ve had bread pudding on my to-bake list. Well, after 3 years, I finally got around to testiing bread pudding recipes! I added a little bit more pizazz to this bread pudding with Nutella and apples. Bread pudding is some sort of fancy dessert, so why not add some addicting chocolate hazelnut spread and apples to the mix?



I`ve tried a few bread pudding recipes and liked this one the best. Mainly, because I don`t usually have those thick breads like challah, French, or sourdough bread at home, so I liked that I could use sandwich bread slices to make this.

I originally thought it would be too soggy since sandwich slices are pretty thin, but it worked and it tasted great! I basically ate this whole thing myself! I ate it for breakfast and dessert. I mean, it`s made with sandwich slices and Nutella...it`s like eating toast in the morning. AND, it`s sweet so it`s also dessert. :P

Also, I really don`t know what the difference between bread pudding and baked French toast is. I mean, I`ve researched it and different sources say different things. I`ve just concluded that bread pudding might include a larger ratio of milk compared to the bread, but I`ve seen recipes where it was the opposite. Eh, it doesn`t matter in the end because both are mighty tasty and I would (and have) eat both for breakfast and dessert. Haha~


Apple Nutella Bread Pudding
Adapted: AllRecipes | Yields: 1 - 9x5inch loaf pan/4 servings| Level: Easy | Total Time: 60 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
§  6 slices of sandwich bread slices
§  about 3 tablespoons Nutella/chocolate hazelnut spread
§  ½ apple, chopped
§  2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
§  2 large eggs, beaten
§  1 cup whole milk
§  3 tablespoons granulated sugar
§  2 tablespoons light brown sugar
§  ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
§  ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
§  pinch of salt
Materials Needed:
-          1- 9x5inch loaf pan
-          parchment paper/cooking spray
-          cutting board
-          knife
-          1 small bowl
-          1 medium bowl
-          cooling rack

Directions:
1.        Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line your 9x5inch loaf pan with parchment paper, or grease with oil/cooking spray.
2.       Spread Nutella on half of your sandwich slices. Sandwich with another slice.
3.       Cut each "sandwich" into smaller squares/pieces (4x4 for each sandwich).
4.       Place a layer of bread at the bottom. Sprinkle with chopped apples.
5.       Top with the rest of the bread.
6.       Drizzle melted butter over the bread slices.
7.       In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
8.       Pour over your bread slices. Push the bread down gently to soak the milk mixture.
9.       Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until tops are golden.
10.   Remove from oven, let it cool for 15 minutes on a cooling rack before serving.
11.   Optional: Serve with the rest of the chopped apples and drizzle with caramel sauce.  

*Notes:

-          You can definitely refrigerate and reheat in the microwave leftovers. Or bake until warm. 
Cooksnaps