Friday, March 14, 2014

Snickers Monster Cookies


Excuse me, but I have a peanut butter phase going on currently. I just can`t seem to stop, either. For some particular reason, I get really tuned in on a few ingredients that I`m currently craving...and then I can only think to bake with them! For instance, lately, it`s been banana, peanut butter, chocolate, lemons, and berries! I hope I`m not the only one who becomes obsessed with certain ingredients! This is highly odd for me though, since I get bored when I do things repetitively. Apparently, this doesn`t apply when it comes to food.

I have been itching to make monster cookies for months. I had 3 jars of peanut butter at home. Plus, I needed a reason to stop eating peanut butter off a spoon. Yes, I know I am not alone on this! ;) I wanted to add candies, pretzels, chocolate, rice krispies, oatmeal, and all sorts of yummies in my monster cookies! One problem: I never had all of them at once. I tried collecting the various ingredients until I had them all.

Fair warning on these cookies: They are utterly and completely addicting. They, may or may not be ugly, too. Haha. I`ll be honest. First, let me explain: these may not be the most gorgeous and eye-catching cookies you`ve seen. However, they are cookies that leave an impression. A GOOD impression.



The edges of these cookies will brown quickly, so watch them at the half-way mark. (I always rotate my pans 180 degress during the half-way mark when I bake to ensure even baking. Thus, be watchful after about 3-4 minutes.) Since the edges brown quickly and they`re dark, they`re not the prettiest cookies of the bunch.

I had a friend who was feeling down lately, so I decided to give him 5 of these. He didn`t even want to try them at first!! He was like, "Erm...what are these ugly things...?" So, he gave one to this friend to try. After both their first bites, though, my friend knew he wouldn`t share anymore. His friend came back later that night to ask for more! Unfortunately, his request was denied by my friend. My friend constantly talks about these cookies when he sees me, too. If this is not proof of a good (and I mean GOOD cookie), then I don`t know what is. :D

I should have saved this recipe for Halloween, but these cookies are so gosh-darn-good, I couldn`t wait to share it with all of you!! I must have eaten about 4 to "test-try" the recipe. These cookies are pretty big, about the size of bakery cookies. They also freeze really well! You can eat them cold or let them thaw. Both, will be equally delicious!


Snickers Monster Cookies
Adapted: Paula Deen| Yields: about 20-24 cookies| Level: Easy | Total Time:  40 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
-          3 large eggs
-          1 ¼ cups brown sugar, packed
-          1 cup granulated sugar
-          ½ teaspoon sea salt
-          1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-          1 ¼ cups crunchy peanut butter
-          8 tablespoons/½ cup unsalted butter
-          ½ cup chocolate chips
-          ½ cup M&Ms
-          1 ½ cups old fashioned oatmeal
-          1 cup Snickers, chopped
-          2 teaspoons baking soda
-          ½ cup all purpose flour
-          ½ cup Rice Krispies Cereal

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper, or baking mat.
2.       In a small saucepan, brown your butter: Over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisking occasionally, let the butter turn into an amber color. It will foam a little. Once it subsides and brown specks appears at the bottom of the pan, it will begin to have a nutty aroma. Once butter turns a light golden brown color, transfer to a bowl to cool. (I stick it in the freezer to make it cool faster--about 5-10 minutes.)
3.       In a bowl with electric mixer, cream together eggs, brown sugar, and sugar until light.
4.       Add in the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and brown butter. Combine well.
5.       Fold in chocolate chips, M&Ms, oatmeal, snickers, baking soda, and flour.
6.       Lastly and carefully, fold in Rice Krispies.
7.       Using a medium size cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3 inches in between each.
8.       Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden brown.
9.       Allow cookies to cook completely on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.

*Notes:
-          I used Skippy extra crunchy peanut butter.
-          Pay attention, cookies will spread and edges will brown quickly, compared to the centers. Centers will harden once cooled.


Cooksnaps