Thursday, September 25, 2014

Strawberry Lemon French Toast Bites


Am I late with the whole strawberry and lemon combo? It just turned Fall, so I feel that it`s out of place. But, this can`t wait until next year. :P Plus, the holidays are coming and this French toast will make a delicious breakfast or brunch on a holiday morning. I mean, who wouldn`t love a cheery breakfast dish on a gloomy Winter morning (or late afternoon), right? Right.

Yeah, I totally rationalized to myself and you about why I`m posting this. (I have a degree in psychology, so I unconsciously analyze these things. Whoops, did it again. Haha!)

I used fresh strawberries, but frozen would work just as well. So, this recipe is not confined to just the Spring and Summer months.



I love this recipe because it`s so simple. French toast isn`t complicated in the first place. It`s only complicated for me because I don`t have stale challah or brioche bread lying around. However, I do have sandwich bread!

Sandwich bread slices make for great stuffed French toast. I`ve made them many times and always love the results. If you cut them up, you make little, cute bites! Who doesn`t love cute foods? Let me tell you, I love cute foods and I`m in my 20s! If you have children, I have no doubt they`ll love these French toast bites as well!


I`ve learned that using an oven to keep your French toast warm while you work on other batches is a great tip. Not only does the oven keep it warm, it puffs them up as well!

Easy, cute, and yummy breakfast is always a must-try. :) Drizzle with some maple syrup or dust with powdered sugar (or both, like me!) and you`re set to go.


Yum, yum, yum. Sprinkle, sprinkle!


Strawberry Lemon French Toast Bites
Hearts In My Oven Original | Yields: 2-3 servings | Level: Easy | Total Time: 45-60 minutes

Ingredients:
-          8 oz  fresh strawberries, hulled & diced
-          2 large eggs
-          1 cup whole milk
-          1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-          ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          dash salt
-          6 slices of stale sandwich bread
-          1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter, for pan
-          3-4 tablespoons lemon curd

Directions:
1.       Preheat toaster oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper/aluminum foil.
2.       In a small bowl, with the back of a fork, smash the strawberries for the juice to come out. Set aside.
3.       In a deep dish bowl, such as a pie plate, lightly beat the eggs.
4.       Whisk in the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until combined.
5.       Add in 2 tablespoons of your smashed strawberry juice and whisk until combined. Set aside.
6.       Flatten each slice of bread with the palms of your hands and spread lemon curd one side of each slice.
7.       Top with some smashed strawberries and sandwich with another slice of bread.
8.       Cut sandwich into small squares (approx. 9 squares for sandwich).
9.       Heat your nonstick skillet over low-medium heat. Melt ½ tablespoon of butter for each batch.
10.   Dip each square into the milk mixture for a few seconds.
11.   Cook on each side until golden brown. You will have to flip to cook all sides of the squares!
12.   Once done, transfer to your preheated oven to keep warm and fluff.
13.    Continue with all slices of bread.
14.   Serve with powdered sugar or maple syrup.

*Notes:
-          Oven is not mandatory, but helps makes the French toast fluffier and keeps it warm.
-          You can play around with the size when you cut the bread. Just make sure they cook through on all sides!
I liked my bites smaller than bigger.
Cooksnaps