Friday, September 7, 2012

Green Tea Madeleines


It`s the end of green tea week~ I hope you enjoyed the first two recipes! I`m going to end it with these awesome and yummy green tea madeleines!

 I loved the madeleines my parents bought me when I was a little from the Vietnam grocery stores. I always assumed they were the same as the original French madeleines since France took over Vietnam back then.


But, I`m not here to give you a history lesson! The Vietnamese ones are less sweet and spongier. I didn`t even know there was a difference until I tried one from Trader Joe`s. The ones at TJ`s were harder and much sweeter.

Since I didn`t have a recipe for the Vietnamese version, I decided to use a recipe I saw from Patricia`s wonderful blog, Technicolor Kitchen and made them green tea instead!

My mom reallyyyy liked them. I think I might make some for her birthday. ;)  These are great since I don`t like the ones from the grocery stores because those are just way too sweet. Since I love green tea desserts, these were perfect for me. It`s definitely a recipe I will revisit!


Green Tea Madeleines


Adapted from Technicolor Kitchen
Yields: 12 madelienes
Level: Easy
Total Time: ~25 minutes + 3 hours chill time
(Print Recipe)

Materials Needed:
-          1 large bowl
-          1 bowl with mixer attachment
-          1 Whisk
-          1 rubber spatula
-          saran wrap
-          1 cookie scoop (1 1/2 tablespoon)
-          oil spray
-          cooling rack
-          madeleine mold (w/ 12 cavities)

Ingredients:
§  2/3 cup all purpose flour
§  3/4 teaspoon baking powder
§  1/8 teaspoon salt
§  1/2 cup sugar
§  2 large eggs
§  2 teaspoons vanilla extract
§  6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
§  1 teaspoon green tea powder

Directions:
1.      Spray madeleine molds with oil, or butter and flour it. Set aside.
2.      In the large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and green tea powder.
3.      In bowl of your electric mixer, mix together the sugar and eggs until it becomes light colored and pale (it'll take about 2-3 minutes on medium high speed).
4.      Add the vanilla into bowl with the sugar and eggs. Mix.
5.      Using the rubber spatula, fold into the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, etc).
6.      Mix in melted butter until combined.
7.      Using a cookie scoop, scoop batter evenly into molds.
8.      Cover the entire pan with saran wrap (wrap should touch the batter).
9.      Refrigerate the batter for at least 3 hours, for up to 2 days.
10.  Preheat your oven to 400°F when you're ready to bake.
11.  Bake for 7-10 minutes.
Remove the madelines and let them cool on a cooling rack. 

12 comments:

  1. Love how these look - and Pat always has the best recipes! Can't wait to give them a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful. I need to buy the special pan to make them..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn`t think I`ll use the pan that often, but it`s not too expensive. Plus making these every once in awhile is a good enough excuse to buy the madeleine pan! ahah

      Delete
  3. What a creative way to enjoy madeleines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should check out Vietnamese store to see if they have madeleines. I always love their French bread. These looks so good! I love everything with green tea too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You should definitely try some! They really soft and moist!

      Delete
  5. this looks so good! Im obsessed with green tea desserts

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your blog! it's so welcoming :)
    these look delicious, i love all of the green tea recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Cooksnaps