Friday, November 9, 2012

Caramel Apple Pie


This pie is my absolute favorite. I have made this pie FOUR times. That says a lot, because I find new recipes everyday. But, this pie is magnificent and it`s a definite MUST MAKE.

Apple pies are my favorite type of pie, so I`m always excited when I find a recipe. However, it`s hard for me to try new recipes, because I fall under pressure from the deliciousness of this pie, and always end up making this one instead.



I was very proud of myself after making this pie because the last time I made it, I tackled my first pie crust from scratch. When it turned out well, I was incredibly happy! The first two times, I used frozen pie crusts because I was still new at baking and wasn`t ready to make my own pie crust yet.

Also, I basically devoured this whole pie myself. I`m a huge caramel apple fan. Naturally, I would drown the pie with caramel sauce. You can be conservative about it and drizzle a little, but it`s all up to your own preferences.



Caramel Apple Pie with Crumb Topping

Adapted from: BHG, Fall Baking Magazine 2011
Yields: 1 - 9 inch pie, 8 Servings/slices
Level: Easy-Medium (Lots of steps)
Total Time: ~ 2 hours

Materials Needed:
-          1 - 9 inch pie plate
-          2 medium bowls
-          pastry blender/ 2 forks
-          1 fork
-          1 spoon
-          1 large bowl
-          1 tablespoons
-          1 rubber spatula
-          Parchment paper
-          aluminum foil
-          baking sheet

Ingredients:
Pie Crust:
§  1/2 cup all purpose flour
§  1/4 teaspoon salt
§  1/3 cup shortening
§  4-5 tablespoons cold water
Apple Pie:
§  1 teaspoon lemon juice
§  5 cups of Granny Smith Apples, thinly sliced (5 medium apples)
§  6 tablespoons granulated sugar
§  2 tablespoons dark/golden brown sugar
§  3 tablespoons all purpose flour
§  1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
§  dash of ground nutmeg
§  1/8 teaspoon salt
§  1-2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping/caramel sauce (Image)
Crumb Topping:
§  1 cup dark/golden brown sugar
§  1/2 cup all purpose flour
§  1/2 old fashioned oats
§  1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
§  1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) cold butter, cubed
§  caramel ice cream topping/caramel sauce
§  1/4 cup chopped pecans (Optional)

Directions:
Pie Crust:
1.      Line the bottom of your pie plate with parchment. (Optional-You can butter and flour instead)
2.      In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
3.      Cut in shortening with either a pastry blender or two forks until they form small pieces.
4.      Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water into the mixture.
5.      Use a fork to toss around and wet the mixture, gathering the dough that has been moisten to one side of the bowl to start forming a ball.
6.      Continually add 1 tablespoon of cold water at a time until a ball of dough forms. (It'll take 3 or 4 more tablespoons of water.)
7.      Knead the dough a little to bring the dough together.
8.      Flour a clean surface and roll the dough to about a 12 inch circle.
9.      Using your rolling pin, lift a small part of your crust over your rolling pin and let it ease towards the middle of the crust.
10.  Transfer to your pie pan.
11.  Trim and shape the edges of your pie crust to your own preferences.
12.  Set aside.
Apple Pie:
13.  After you slice your apples, sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples.
14.  Preheat your oven to 375°F.
15.  In a large bowl combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
16.  Add the apple slices and using a rubber spatula, carefully fold apples into the mixture to coat.
17.  Add the caramel ice cream topping and toss mixture around until all apples are coated.
18.  Transfer to pie plate.
Crumb Topping:
19.  In another medium size bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, old fashioned oats, and cinnamon.
20.  Using a pastry blender/forks, cut in the cold butter until coarse crumbs.
21.  Top the pie with crumb topping.
22.  Wrap aluminum foil loosely to cover the crust to prevent over-browning.
23.  Bake pie on top of a baking sheet for 25 minutes, then carefully remove foil.
24.  Continue baking for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden.
25.  Remove pie from oven and set to cool on a cooling rack.
26.  Sprinkle pecans and drizzle caramel ice cream topping on top.
27.  Allow to cool before serving. 

12 comments:

  1. OMG this is crazy!! This pie looks like it'll give you a toothache. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just makes you crave for more and more!! :D

      Delete
  2. I love apple pies and this one with crumb topping is 100000 times better than regular apple pie. I love this one, A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've sold me! I love finding recipes that others love so much that they gush over them and now I can't wait to try this! And congrats on making your first pie crust. I've never been able to bring myself to try that, mostly because I just like to take the easy route when it comes to baking. How wonderful that yours turned out so well on your first try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynna! - beautiful photo - and such an inviting looking pie. Pie is truly my favorite dessert. I rarely put a spin on the traditional apple pie but this recipe sounds delicious. Maybe it's time to try something different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anything apples+cinnamon sounds and smells wonderful already! love how ooey-gooey melt-in-the-mouth the apples look in the close-up pix ^^ i can imagine how good this pie tastes like with the crumb topping and especially the caramel sauce! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks too good for words! I think I would devour this whole thing myself too, I think this would be dangerous for me to make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's always so nice when i find a blog that teachs and inpires me so much!
    It's always a pleasure to visit your blog.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This pie sounds incredible! I love the caramel apple combo and the crumb topping makes it even better : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely overrate due to this. Thanks!! My whole family loved it n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for coming back and letting me know! :)

      Delete

Cooksnaps