Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Bourbon Pumpkin Tart


Veteran`s Day was yesterday. I hope everyone gave thanks to all the veterans they know and don`t know to give them your appreciation for all they have done. :)

Apparently, not everyone gets a day off from work on Veteran`s Day, except maybe students. I was definitely happy to get my first no school day this quarter!

I will tell you about another thing that also made me happy recently: THIS PUMPKIN TART! It`s like pumpkin pie, but a tart instead. I`ve never made anything with alcohol before since I don`t drink, but this bourbon pumpkin tart looks so divine, I bought a bottle of bourbon-whiskey (I`m still begging my friends to drink the rest for me).


Also, excuse the horrible pictures for this tart. These pictures doesn`t do the tart any justice. Daylight Savings last Sunday totally ruined picture-taking for me. My apartment doesn`t get any good light after 3:30pm! 3:30!! I`m not sure how I`ll take pictures now. And, I`m still learning how to take good pictures of pies/tarts. So, bare with me!


Thanksgiving is coming up and if you haven`t figured out what kind of pumpkin pie rendition you`re going to make this year, I`ll assist you: make this one. Two of my friends who are not pumpkin fans actually liked this pumpkin tart. Like, more than like. One said, "Oh my god, this is delicious!" The other, "Umm! This pie is so good! I don`t even like pumpkin!"

AND, it`s not hard to make. The tart tastes just as good the next day (I kept it in the fridge). If your guests aren`t too picky about fresh desserts, you can totally make this the night before Thanksgiving day.

I love this tart because it tastes just like a pumpkin pie, but better because it has a streusel and there`s a more even ratio of pumpkin to crust. Hence, you can eat more slices without getting sick of the pumpkin. (But, really, who gets sick of pumpkin pie?!)

Another suggestion for your Thanksgiving table is the Caramel Apple Pie I raved about last week! Check it out here.


Bourbon Pumpkin Tart with Streusel


Adapted from: Taste of Home Fall Baking 2011 Issue
Yields: 1-12 inch tart/14 servings
Level: Easy
Total Time: ~ 2 hours 15 minutes, including chilling time

Materials Needed:
-          1-11 or 12 inch fluted tart pan (with removable bottom)
-          parchment paper
-          2 large bowls
-          1 pastry cutter or two forks
-          2 forks
-          plastic wrap/saran wrap
-          rolling pin
-          refrigerator
-          1 whisk
-          1 medium bowl
-          cooling rack

Ingredients:
Crust:
§  2 cups of all purpose flour
§  1/3 cup granulated sugar
§  1 teaspoon grated orange peel
§  1/2 teaspoon salt
§  12 tablespoons/1 1/2 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
§  1 egg, lightly beaten
§  1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Filling:
§  1 can (15oz) pure pumpkin puree
§  3 eggs
§  1/2 cup granulated sugar
§  1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
§  1/4 cup dark/golden brown sugar, packed
§  1/4 cup bourbon
§  2 tablespoons all purpose flour
§  1 teaspoon ground ginger
§  1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
§  1/4 teaspoon salt
§  1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
§  dash of nutmeg
Streusel:
§  3/4 cup all purpose flour
§  1/2 cup sugar
§  1/3 cup dark/golden brown sugar, packed
§  1/2 teaspoon salt
§  1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
§  8 tablespoons/1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
§  1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
1.      Line the bottom of your removable bottom tart pan with a round of parchment paper.
Crust:
2.      In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, grated orange, salt.
3.      Using the pastry blender, cut in the cold butter.
4.      Add the lightly beaten egg.
5.      Then, add the heavy whipping cream slowly.
6.      Use a fork to gently toss around the ingredients until the dough starts to form into a ball.
7.      Wrap dough with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least half an hour.
8.      When you're ready to continue, preheat your oven to 350°F.
9.      Flour your working surface.
10.  Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to a circle about 14 inches in diameter; rolling from the middle out.
11.  Tuck rolling pin under the dough to carefully transfer to the pan.
12.  Press crust into pan.
Filling:
13.  In another large bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, sugar, whipping cream, brown sugar, bourbon, flour, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, salt, ground cloves, and nutmeg.
14.  Pour on top of crust.
Streusel:
15.  In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
16.  Using the pastry cutter, cut in the cold butter until coarse crumbs form.
17.  Add the streusel on top of the filling.
18.  Sprinkle pecans on top.
19.  Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
20.  Allow tart to cool down on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving. (You can refrigerate leftovers.)



6 comments:

  1. Bourbon(!!) pumpkin tart... now that sure looks delicious! My husband will be happy to drink the rest of your bourbon too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you talking about? These pictures are gorgeous! I definitely want another thanksgiving to make these. Maybe I should celebrate American thanksgiving ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely being incorporated into my Thanksgiving menu somehow. I mean BOURBON = amazing, especially with pumpkin and/or sweet potatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your photos look lovely! I know how frustrating it is trying to take photos this time of year, though. I've been making dinner at 3 PM and then reheating it when it's actually time to eat! Ah, the life of a food blogger, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures actually made me drool... I was looking for a recipe for thanksgiving dessert and this tart looks perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum oh yum! This sounds FABULOUS! I love banana+bourbon recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Cooksnaps