Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Baked Overnight Blueberry French Toast


It`s Tuesday again! I bring you another breakfast recipe to enter into your breakfast rotation! So far, for Breakfast Tuesdays, I`ve showed you Nutella Stuffed French Toast and Breakfast Quesadillas.

I don`t know about you, but I love French toast. I never grew up with it, since my parents are Asian immigrants and all, and I always thought of them as some magical breakfast item. I mean, we`ve had pancakes and waffles, but never French toast. Thus, growing up I never really knew what they tasted like. Every time I saw a picture of them, I knew I would love them. How can you go wrong with bread, covered in an egg and milk mixture, then fried?! I love bread, eggs, and milk!

I never ordered them at restaurants either because they`ll be almost $10 a plate. And, there`s the chance I might not like French toast...which will then be a waste. Haha. Truthfully, I think I had first my French toast when one of my friends made them for breakfast in college on a weekend 3 years ago.

They. Were. SO. GOOD!



And, I fell in love. With French toast. I just started making my own at home and became hooked! This explains why I have, not one, but TWO French toast recipes for Breakfast Tuesdays this month.

Yes, you have to bake these French toast, but since they are overnight, all you need to do is prep them before you go to bed. When you wake up, preheat the oven for 10 minutes, put them in the oven, set a timer, and continue on with your morning routine until you hear your timer go off. This isn`t a delicate dish when it comes to baking times, so you don`t have to worry too much. Set your timer at 20-25 minutes if you`re unsure. I baked mine for 30 minutes, but rotated the pan 180 degrees half way through the baking time.

Pour some syrup on top, grab a glass of milk, and boom! A wonderfully tasty breakfast. I was so excited to share these with you after my first bite because they`re just sooo good. You baked them in ramekins/individual serving size to reduce oven time and for portability. Even if you don`t have time for breakfast, you can take this with you on your car ride to work!

Oh, and guess what? If you use the ingredients I did, this dish would be under 300 calories! You can substitute blueberries with other fruits as well. :)

Baked Overnight Blueberry French Toast
Adapted: Easy Everyday Eats | Yields:3 servings | Level: Easy | Total Time: 40 minutes + overnight | Print

Ingredients:
§  5 slices of Sara Lee Honey White Bread*
§  ½ cup Kirkland Vanilla Soymilk*
§  2 large eggs
§  ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
§  1 teaspoon brown sugar, unpacked
§  ½ cup blueberries
§  3 tablespoons maple syrup

Materials Needed:
-          3 - 10oz ramekins
-          1 deep dish bowl
-          1 small baking sheet
-          cutting board
-          1 fork

Directions:
1.       Butter/grease ramekins.
2.       Cut bread slices into cubes.
3.       In a bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
4.       Dip half of the bread cubes into milk mixture and transfer into ramekins.
5.       Add some blueberries.
6.       Dip the rest of the bread into the milk mixture and add on top of ramekins.
7.       Cover and chill at least 1 hour, or overnight.
8.       Let the French Toast get to room temperature for about 15 minutes.
9.       While you wait, preheat oven to 350F.
10.   Bake ramekins on a baking sheet for 25 to 35 minutes, or until bread is toasted and filling is set.
11.   Remove from oven. Pour some maple syrup and serve!

*Notes:
-          You can substitute for whole milk, lighter milk, or almond milk.
You can basically use most type of bread: any sandwich bread, French, Texas, or sourdough.
Cooksnaps