Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Banana Twix Muffins


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays simply because I love getting free candy. Well, I used to anyways. If you didn't know this before, I'll say it again: I love love love eating candy. I eat all sorts of candy from Snickers, sour gummy worms, Red Vines, and even to Coconut M&Ms.

Yeah, I did have a ton of cavities. I'm sure my dad was never happy taking me to dentist as a kid. My parents tried keeping candy away from me, but I always found some somehow.


I went trick or treating my 2nd year of college and got funny looks, so I haven't tried doing it again. I mean, people say I don't look my age, but some of my friends do look over 20 years old. LOL. So, it doesn't work when we all go as a group, knocking on people's doors and saying "trick or treat" when they open the door, but only to find a group of college students.

I bet they're wondering why we're not at a party.

Unfortunately, this year for me, I have a midterm exam tomorrow. Which means I'll be studying all day. Which also means no free candy. Which also means NO FUN. Boo. Seriously, Professor? Having an exam the day after Halloween is so not cool.

Despite my luck, I hope you all have a safe and fun Halloween!! These Twix muffins will be great to use up leftover candy (if there is any!). I'm sure Snickers, Milky Way, Three Musketeers, etc will work well! When I told my boyfriend about these muffins, he got really excited because he absolutely loves Twix, too.

Banana Twix Muffins


Adapted from: Poet in the Pantry
Yields: 14 muffins
Level: Easy
Total Time: ~35-45 minutes

Materials Needed:
-          1-2 standard muffin pan
-          muffin liners
-          2 large bowls
-          2 small bowls (1 to mash banana)
-          1 fork (to mash banana)
-          1 cookie scoop
-          cooling rack
-          1 pastry cutter/fork

Ingredients:
Muffins:
§  about 10 fun size Twix bars, chopped into small pieces
§  2 cups all purpose flour
§  2 teaspoon baking powder
§  1/2 teaspoon baking soda
§  1/4 cup malted milk powder
§  1 large egg
§  scant 3/4 cup granulated sugar
§  1 medium well ripe banana, mashed
§  1 teaspoon vanilla extract
§  1/2 cup (1 stick/8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
§  3/4 cup whole milk
Streusel:
§  2 tablespoons all purpose flour
§  3 tablespoons granulated sugar
§  3 tablespoons old fashion oats
§  2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold

Directions:
1.      Line your muffin pan, or spray with cooking spray.
2.      Preheat oven to 375°F.
3.      In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and milk powder together.
4.      Stir in the chopped Twix pieces and set aside.
5.      In another large bowl, add the egg, granulated sugar, mashed banana, vanilla extract, melted butter, and milk. Beat together until smooth.
6.      Add wet ingredients (egg, sugar, banana mixture, etc) to the dry ingredients (flour, Twix, etc) and mix until just incorporated.
7.      Using a cookie scoop, divide the batter among the muffin cups.
8.      In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the streusel: flour, sugar, oats.
9.      Using a pastry cutter/fork/or your fingers, cut the butter in the mixture until coarse crumbs form.
10.  Top each muffin with streusel, pressing down slightly  with your fingers.
11.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, or lightly golden and  toothpick inserted comes out clean.
12.  Cool muffins in the pan, on top of a cooling rack, for about 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a rack.

12 comments:

  1. Ohhh wait until you have kids! We got so much candies that I don't know what to do with! You would definitely come up with all the goodies using candies such as this one! I wish I can send all of your favorite candies your way. ;) Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would eat my kids' candies. LOL. Aw, thank you for even thinking it! Hope you had a good one too!

      Delete
  2. this must taste delicious! i love those chocolate/caramel oozing out of the muffins ^^ yummmy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Candy + Muffins. Who woulda thunk? Lynna of course! And no worries about the trick or treating... last time I did it was in college, too. But to not make people mad, we asked for canned foods and gave them to the local food bank. Then people were HAPPY to see us dressed up on their doorstep ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Well, I got the recipe from Poet in the Pantry. So, I won`t take credit for that. I just made them into banana muffins!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I think I am in love, these look fantastic!
    Also, hahah, that's hilarious! I went trick or treating when I was in grade 6 and people told me I was too old :( I should try now. Maybe people will throw eggs at me or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...noo I don`t think people will throw eggs at you!

      Delete
  5. Lynna, these muffins sound and look amazing. I have already given my extra Halloween candy away but I might have to go out and buy some Twix just to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shut the front door!! Brilliant idea. We still have a ton of leftover candy & I'm adding these to our list.

    ReplyDelete

Cooksnaps