Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Almond Butter Berry Banana Smoothie


Yet, another smoothie recipe to add to the internet's infinite`s list? I`m afraid so! With the new years and new resolutions, smoothie recipes are seen everywhere! I made this about half a year ago, but felt it was fitting to post about it now. I wasn`t even going to post about it, originally, since it`s so simple (like, most smoothie recipes).

Then, I realized how this is a blog where I talk about the foods I make, so I felt I should share, regardless of how simple this recipe is.

Let`s be real, several years ago, I never even knew how to make a smoothie. I would always buy them at Jamba Juice. My family didn`t raise me on smoothies, since, they themselves, do not drink them. It`s kind of funny when you realize how easy, simple, and tasty homemade smoothies can be!


I had a few friends who told me they drink smoothies instead of eating lunch since it makes them full. I used to think they were nuts! Smoothies are drinks! You can eat AND drink your smoothie. Of course, I`m a slow eater and I like carrying my smoothies around with me, taking hours to consume...which is why I never realized how filling they can be. Sorry, friend. I take back what I said! I mean, I still don`t replace meals with smoothies, but I do know people who often do! No judging, here. :)

For the past several months, I`ve been keeping a tub of plain of vanilla yogurt in my fridge at all times. With yogurt at my disposable, I`ve been finding recipes to use them. I felt a smoothie was a great idea. And, hey, why not add a few tablespoons of almond butter to the mix?

I can`t eat almond butter by the spoonful, so I decided to make an almond butter smoothie, after being inspired by Love & Olive Oil's almond butter smoothie post. For the 2 cups of berries, I used a mixture of frozen berries and fresh strawberries, since that`s what I had on hand. A smoothie recipe is definitely adaptable this way!

Here are a few drool-worthy smoothie recipes:

Pineapple Mango Green Smoothie by Two Peas and Their Pod
Blueberry Banana Buttermilk Smoothie by Spoon Fork Bacon
Chocolate Banana Green Smoothie by Lost Garden
Peanut Butter Banana Green Smoothie by Kristen Eldridge

Almond Butter Banana Berry Smoothie
Inspired: Love & Olive Oil | Yields: 1 serving | Level: Easy | Total Time:  15 minutes

Ingredients:
Cookies:
§  1 frozen banana, sliced
§  2 cups berries, fresh and frozen
§  ¼ cup vanilla yogurt
§  ¼ cup whole milk
§  2 tablespoons almond butter

Materials Needed:
-          1 blender
-          1 spoon
-          1 tall cup

Directions:
1.       In a blender, blend the banana, berries, yogurt, milk and almond butter until smooth and combined.
2.       Transfer into a tall glass.

*Notes:
This is very versatile, feel free to use peanut butter instead of almond butter. Switch the berries, with whatever you have on hand.
Cooksnaps