Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Lemon Strawberry Thumbprints


Happy New Year, Everyone! :)

Did you all celebrate it well? I was thankful I had the day off from work, so I kept it low-key. I caught up on sleep and lounged around with my family all day. It was so relaxing and stress-free. Haha!

The holidays are finally winding down. I`m not sure whether it`s a good or bad thing. I have been in a constant state of food coma since Thanksgiving!! I can`t use the excuse: "It's the holidays!" anymore when I`m sneaking a cookie just before bedtime. And, sadly, my daily cookie intake has slowed to a halt as I let my body recuperate from all the bad food from the past several months! :P


It`s really amazing how I can just keep eating cookies without getting sick of them. I think it helps since there is so much you can potentially do with cookies.

This recipe needed to get on the blog already. I have been using this recipe since my early baking days from 3 years ago. As you can tell, with all the cookies I eat, this recipe must be special if it`s stuck around with me for this long.

I adore and love the lemon and strawberry combo. The cookie is a delicious lemon shortbread cookie while the center is filled with a dollop of strawberry preserves. Then, I drizzled some lemon glaze on it, because I wanted to add more tart to the cookie. And, I`ll be honest, I just love lemon. :)



Lemon Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies
Adapted: Allrecipes | Yields: 18 cookies| Level: Easy | Total Time:  40 minutes

Ingredients:
Cookies:
§  ½ cup (8 tablespoons butter), softened
§  1/3 cup granulated sugar
§  ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
§  1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
§  ¼ cup strawberry preserves
Lemon Glaze:
§  ¼ cup powdered sugar/icing sugar, shifted
§  ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
§  ½ teaspoon milk
Materials Needed:
-          nonstick baking sheet(s)
-          1 mixing bowl w/ electric mixer
-          1 spoon
-          cookie scoop
-          1 small bowl
-          1 whisk
-          baking mat/parchment paper


Directions:
Cookies:
1.       Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper, or baking mat.
2.       In a bowl with electric mixer, cream together softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
3.       Beat in lemon extract.
4.       Gradually mix in the flour, in 3 additions (add flour, mix, flour, mix, flour, mix).
5.       Using the palm of your hands, roll dough into 1 inch balls.
6.       Poke a small hole in the center of each dough ball (use the back of a small measuring spoon).
7.       Place balls on prepared cookie sheet(s) and chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
8.       Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
9.       Remove cookies from freezer an drop a small amount of strawberry preserves in each cookie's dent.
10.   Bake for 14-18 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden.
11.   Allow cookies to cook completely on cookie sheet.
Lemon Glaze:
12.   In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon extract, and milk.
13.   Drizzle over each cookie.

*Notes:
-          Dough can be made and rolled into balls with indents ahead of time (a day in advance). Continue as directed when you're ready to bake.

-          Cookies will taste the same for about a week if kept in sealed container. 
Cooksnaps