Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Red Velvet Brownie Cookies


I was gonna bring you some yummy muffins today, but felt these cookies deserved the spotlight today. I made these a few days ago for a friend`s birthday and since Valentine`s Day is only a few days away, I thought it`ll be a perfect excuse to post these instead.

It was my friend`s birthday yesterday and she told me how much she loved the red velvet cupcakes another friend made for her. She asked if I could bake a red velvet cake. I told her I never tried, but I totally would have if I knew how much she loves red velvet cake! At this point, it would too late for me to bake her a cake, since her friend already did, so I settled for red velvet cookies. BROWNIE cookies, to be exact. I knew she enjoyed brownies since she requested for some before.


Of course, I got her a cake too. But, it`s her birthday, so she can eat all the desserts she wanted, cookies included! I had a food baby all day from all the cake, pasta, Sprinkle cupcakes, ice cream, fries, sweet potato fries, onion rings, ice cream again, and Vietnamese food yesterday! As you can tell, food is all I think about. Haha! I`m thinking of food/desserts daily for the blog and for me to indulge in. Good thing, I workout!! :P

These red velvet brownie cookies are seriously wonderful. I love them so much, I had to stash a few for myself before giving the rest to my friend!! They taste like a brownie and cookie! They`re slightly dense, which make them taste like a chewy brownie. Yet...they look like a cookie! I added white and semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can definitely add one or the other.

With Valentine's Day coming up, how can you go wrong with chocolate (since red velvet is basically chocolate...) and red food? These were pretty darn simple to whip up for your sweetie. I couldn`t stop myself from taking more than just a few bites when I was "test trying" them. Hehe~

I added about 30 drops of red food coloring, but if you want them to be a more vibrant red, feel free to add more drops! I dusted the tops with some powdered sugar for appearance purposes only, but it`s completely optional.

Red Velvet Brownie Cookies

Adapted: Lemons For Lulu | Yields: 15 small cookies | Level: Easy | Total Time: 50 min | Print
Ingredients:
6 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
½ cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon distilled white vinegar
30 drops red food coloring
¾ cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup white & semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1.       In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
2.       In a bowl with electric mixer, cream together softened butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
3.       Add and mix in egg.
4.       Add vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring. Combine.
5.       Gradually mix in flour mixture until barely combined.
6.       Fold in white and semisweet chocolate chips.
7.       Chill dough in freezer for 30 minutes. (Or longer, if fridge)
8.       Preheat oven to 375°F at least 15 minutes before you are ready to bake. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper, or baking mat.
9.       Using a small size cookie scoop (about 1 ½ tablespoon), scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches in between each.
10.   Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until edges are lightly dark.
11.   Allow cookies to cook completely on cookie sheet.

*Notes:
-          The centers will look slightly underbaked, whichis fine! This will give them that chewy brownie texture.

Cooksnaps