Monday, February 17, 2014

Banana Biscoff Muffins


Looking through my blog archives, my love for Biscoff spread is quite apparent. Like, in these cookies, granola bars, more cookies, and ice cream! I`ve been addicted since I bought my first jar and have never looked back! :)

I always say blueberry muffins are my favorite. I also always say that these double blueberry streusel muffins made with brown butter is my all-time favorite blueberry muffins. Then, I started baking banana muffins and realized I love them, too. They never came even close to touch my blueberry muffins though. Then, one day I came up with an idea to make banana Biscoff muffins.

It took awhile for me to actually test the recipe, but after one bite of these babies, I mentally kicked myself for not trying earlier. They were awesome. Even though, I still highly favor blueberry muffins over banana muffins, these muffins came really close!

To make them even more Biscoff-y, I crushed some speculoos (aka Biscoff) cookies on top of the muffins. I didn`t actually have Biscoff cookies, but I had the Trader Joe's speculoos cookies and used them instead. If you can`t find Biscoff spread, Trader Joe's has their own version of this cookie butter. And, it comes in crunchy and creamy, just like the Lotus' brand.

I brought some in for my co-workers and they all loved them! Which, of course, means this recipe is a winner!! I usually have bananas laying around, so if you do too, definitely try making these muffins. You won`t regret it. Plus, you and your family definitely deserve a wonderful treat for breakfast!


Banana Biscoff Muffins
Adapted: Sally's Baking Addiction | Yields: 10 muffins| Level: Easy | Total Time:  40 minutes | Print 

Ingredients:
Muffins:
-          1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
-          ½ teaspoon baking soda
-          ¼ teaspoon salt
-          ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          6 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
-          2 tablespoons granulated sugar
-          2 medium bananas, mashed
-          ¼ cup nonfat yogurt
-          1 large egg, lightly beaten
-          ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
-          ¼ cup Biscoff spread
Speculoos Streusel:
-          1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
-          2 tablespoon all purpose flour
-          ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          2 tablespoons old fashioned oats

-          2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold & cubed
-          3-4 speculoos/Biscoff cookies, crushed

Directions:
Muffins:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin pan with liners, or grease with cooking spray.
2.       In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon until combined.
3.       Then, whisk in the sugars.
4.       In another medium bowl,  combine the mashed bananas, yogurt, egg, vanilla, and Biscoff spread together.
5.       Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Transfer all the wet ingredients (banana, yogurt, etc) into the middle. Using a rubber spatula, fold ingredients together until just combined (do not over mix).
6.       Using a cookie scoop, divide the batter among the muffin pan.
Speculoos Streusel:
7.       In another medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and oats.
8.       Using a pastry cutter, or a fork, cut in the butter until coarse crumbs form.
9.       Mix in the crushed speculoos cookies.
10.   Sprinkle stresuel evenly between muffins.
11.   Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden.
Let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing them to cool on cooling rack completely.

*Notes:

-          You can definitely freeze muffins once they are completely cooled. Double wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze individually. Two options to reheat: 1) bake again at 300°F for about 15 minutes, or until center is warm (if you defrost muffins in fridge the night before, muffins will warm up faster) or 2) microwave for 20-30 seconds.
Cooksnaps