Monday, March 31, 2014

Minty Thin Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies


Is Girl Scouts season over yet? I have no clue, but since I have enough to last me the year, I can always snack on thin mints, samoas, shortbread cookies, and lemonades anytime!! I bought the most boxes out of all my friends and families... Haha! Hey, I`m helping these people get rid of their boxes and boxes of cookies, right?

I`m a huge fan of thin mints, as you can tell with these peanut butter thin mints I created a while back. These cookies aren`t mindblowing-ly (Did I just make up this word? Possibly.) creative. It`s a chocolate chip cookie that I mint-ified. (Another made up one? Possibly.)

I have this ridiculous craving where I always want a darn chocolate chip cookie. It`s weird. I see and bake all these crazy desserts, but I always have a hankering for the classic chocolate chip cookie!! I guess, it`s a classic for a reason right?

Well, the other day, as I was pulling another amazing batch of chocolate chip cookies from the oven, I decided to make another batch of cookies. With another classic: thin mints. I`ve made them with Oreos (America's Favorite Cookie, right?) and absolutely love them, so why not make them with another one favorite?

To boost the mint flavor, I used peppermint extract and added Andes baking chips into the batter. Look at these beautiful cookies! You can see a little bit of everything in the photos. Thin mints, chocolate chips, and some Andes chocolate! They smell excellent, too! I mean, who needs mint gum? Eat one of these and get that minty chocolate scent. Haha!

(Okay, please do not follow this advice if you`re going on a first date or an interview. I`m sure you don`t want chocolate evidence, aka smear, on the side of your lips when you go to these things...)


Minty Thin Mint Chocolate Cookies
Hearts In My Oven Original (Lynna Huynh)| Yields: about 20 cookies | Level: Easy | Total Time:  35 minutes | Print 

Ingredients:
-          8 tablespoons unsalted butter
-          1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
-          ½ teaspoon baking soda
-          ½ teaspoon kosher salt
-          ¼ cup granulated sugar
-          ¾ cup golden brown sugar
-          1 large egg
-          ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
-          ½  teaspoon vanilla extract
-          2 oz cream cheese, softened
-          1/3 cup chocolate chips
-          1/3 cup Andes baking chips
-          6 Thin Mints, chopped

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper, or baking mat.
2.       In a small saucepan, brown your butter: Over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisking occasionally, let the butter turn into an amber color. It will foam a little. Once it subsides and brown specks appears at the bottom of the pan, it will begin to have a nutty aroma. Once butter turns a light golden brown color, transfer to a bowl to cool. (I stick it in the freezer to make it cool faster--about 10 minutes.)
3.       In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside until Step 6.
4.       In a bowl with electric mixer, mix the brown sugar, sugar, and brown butter.
5.       Add the egg, peppermint extract, and vanilla, mix to combine.
6.       Add the dry ingredients (flour, etc) to the wet ingredients (sugars, etc) and mix until just combined.
7.       Fold in chocolate chips, Andes baking chips, and chopped Thin Mints.
8.       Using a medium size cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches in between each.
9.       Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden brown.
10.   Allow cookies to cook completely on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.

*Notes:
-          Make sure the brown butter is not hot, or else it might cook the egg and melt the chocolate chips.
Store cookies in an airtight container and will be good for at least 1 week.
Cooksnaps