Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Applesauce Pancakes


Yay for breakfast! With healthy apples, nonetheless. I`ll admit, I`m a waffles person, but that didn`t stop me from eating all of these pancakes. :) Pancakes are an essential breakfast item and I`m a self-proclaimed breakfast lover, which means I will always welcome them into my belly.

Plus, they`re easier to make compared to waffles (I didn`t want to take out my waffle maker). Haha! But, trust me, you`ll love these. The pancakes themselves do not include any butter, oil, or fatty ingredients. Along with your typical pancake ingredients, they`re made with unsweetened applesauce and vanilla yogurt. So, I guess you can even say these are healthier than your typical pancakes.



Yummy and not bad for your body. I don`t want to proclaim this as a healthy breakfast, because, let`s be honest, there are healthier breakfast options. But, I`m trying to get you to try these pancakes, not not try them.

I calculated the calories, just in case anyone was interested, and each pancake is about 87.1 Calories. So, about 261 calories per serving. Of course, yours would vary slightly depending on the brand of your ingredients. This is about 3 servings for me, however, for someone with a bigger appetite, it`ll be less.

I didn`t make these because I was trying to eat a healthy breakfast, so I made a maple apple syrup to go along with these. Personally, I think they taste just as great without the syrup, which is what I did the day after.


Applesauce Pancakes
Adapted: Health | Yields: 9 pancakes | Level: Easy | Total Time:  40 minutes | Print 

Ingredients:
Applesauce Pancakes:
-          1 cup all purpose flour
-          1 teaspoon baking soda
-          ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          pinch salt
-          1 cup buttermilk
-          ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
-          2 tablespoons nonfat vanilla yogurt
-          1 large egg, lightly beaten
-          ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
-          1 Granny Smith apples, shredded
Maple Apple Syrup:
-          1 tablespoon butter
-          2 tablespoons brown sugar
-          ½ teaspoon cornstarch
-          dash ground cinnamon
-          3-5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
-          1 Granny Smith apple, sliced

Directions:
Applesauce Pancakes:
1.       In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
2.       In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, applesauce, yogurt, egg, vanilla, and shredded apples.
3.       Transfer wet ingredients (buttermilk, etc) to dry ingredients (flour, etc) all at once. Fold ingredients until combined.
4.       Heat a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Spray with cooking spray when skillet is hot.
5.       Scoop ¼ cup of batter for each pancake. Cook, when bubbles form, flip pancake and cook for a few minutes on other side, or until brown and middle is cooked through.
Maple Apple Syrup:
6.       In the same skillet, melt butter.
7.       Add brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Mix to combine.
8.       Add apples and stir until apples soften and sauce thickens slightly.
9.       Serve on top of pancakes

*Notes:
-          Keep pancakes warm by turning on your toaster oven to 200°F. Transfer pancakes to oven when finished.
-          Pancakes are thin, not super fluffy

-          Pancakes are about 87.1 Calories each (excluding syrup). 3 servings: 261.3 Calories
Cooksnaps