Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Dulce de Leche Ice Cream Bonbons


I hope you aren`t tired of me posting dulce de leche recipes, yet! Even if you are, it`s okay. This recipe will work with any ice cream. Even store-bought ice cream. :)

These bonbons were on my mind for months. Literally!! It just took me so long to get to making them because I`m always hesitant to work with melted chocolate. All the tempering... I like easy and no-fuss recipes. I`m sure you all do, too!

I`ve seen ice cream bonbons made a few ways, but I think this way is the easiest. At least, in my opinion. I used those plastic candy/chocolate molds. A popular method is to scoop ice cream into balls and freeze them until they`re rock solid. Then, you melt your chocolate and quickly dip each ice cream ball into the chocolate and then into the freezer they go again.

Since I have candy molds, I thought it`ll be much easier and cleaner to use them instead. If you have peanut butter cup molds, or any similar size molds, feel free to use them. As long as each mold capacity is deep enough for the ice cream, you`re good to go!



Also, since these will always be in the freezer, I didn`t worry about the chocolate blooming or anything. The hardest part about making these ice cream bonbons is the waiting. All you need to do to make these is melt some chocolate chips (I recommend you use ones with a higher cacao content. At least 51% or so. The darker, the better.). Spread some of that chocolate at the bottom and up the sides. Chill. Add some ice cream. Chill again. Close it all up with some more melted chocolate. Final chill until they harden and you can pop them right off the molds!

I alternated between two molds and thought it was an effective approach. While one was in the freezer, I was working with the other, either working with the melted chocolate or filling them with ice cream.

Trust me, you`ll love these babies. I was popping one in my mouth every time I step foot in the kitchen!! I even ate some first thing in the morning! What kind of an adult am I?! My main reason for making a no-churn dulce de leche ice cream was to make these bonbons. I didn`t want to try a churn recipe since I had to make them into bonbons later and that would have been a lot more work! Haha! :P

For examples of the type of molds I used, read the recipe notes. :)  


ALSO, if you ever make any of the recipes here, take a picture. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you`ll see this CookSnap widget. There you can add your picture of what you`ve made so others (and me!) can see your beautiful end results! Every recipe post as the widget at the end of the comments section. ;)


Ice Cream Bonbons
Hearts In My Oven Original | Yields: about 20 bonbons | Level: Easy | Total Time: 60 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
-          ½-1 cup dulce de leche ice cream
-          1-2 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
-          1-2 tablespoons vegetable shortening   

Directions:
1.       Using the double broiler method, heat a pot of water until simmering. Reduce heat to low-medium. Place a heat safe bowl, nestled on top of pot, but do not let the bowl touch the water below.
2.       Place your chocolate chips inside for about 1 minute to let them melt.
3.       Add shortening and stir to combine.
4.       Once chocolate has melted, add a little bit more chocolate chips. Stir to melt completely.
5.       Use a small spoon to place a little into each mold. Spread the chocolate to cover the bottom and up the sides of each mold completely.
6.       Chill mold in freezer until chocolate hardens (about 5-10 minutes).
7.       Working quickly, scoop a little bit of ice cream into each mold. Return to freezer for a few more minutes to harden.
8.       Once again, working quickly, add some melted chocolate on top of each mold. Spread to cover up the ice cream.
9.       Return to freezer to harden completely. Pop bonbons out of their molds and store in a freezer safe container. (Once chocolate hardens, it's really each to pop them out.)

*Notes:
-          I used candy bonbon molds. Any plastic candy molds should work, i.e. peanut butter cup molds. I bought my molds at Bake It Pretty, but they no longer have them in stock. These are similar to the ones I used: bonbon mold & peanut butter cup mold. (Most places sell them for about $2 each, I'm not sure why these Amazon ones are so expensive!)    
-          The ingredients aren't exact because it depends on how many you wish to make. For every 1 cup of chocolate chips, I added 1 tablespoon of shortening.
-          Each bonbon was about the size of a ping-pong ball.
Be careful to not let ANY drop of water get into your melted chocolate. It will cause your chocolate to seize up.
Cooksnaps