Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Oatmeal Yogurt Covered Raisins Cookies


I totally failed. I`ve promised these cookies to my sister for like, a year. She lives in Berkeley, so we don`t get to see each other until the holidays. She looks at my blog every once in awhile and would always joke about sending her food. She, like most college students, is too lazy to cook most of the time. Even if she cooks, she doesn`t bake.

She loves oatmeal raisin cookies. When I think about oatmeal raisin cookies, I think of those packaged soft and chewy cookies from my childhood. Some kids would hate raisins in their cookies, but not me. I loved oatmeal raisin cookies! Unfortunately, I never baked them before. I didn`t want to ruin the taste of them in my mind, if they didn`t live up to my expectations.

Also, I never buy raisins even though I like them. I buy craisins, but never raisins...

Anyway, I was planning on sending my sister these cookies so she could eat them while studying for her last finals week of college. But uh, I`m used to the quarter system, so while she`s on a semester system and has dead week....I miscalculated the weeks. I became really busy a few weeks up to this point as well, so I didn`t have time to experiment in the kitchen.



When I finally had time to bake them, she would receive them the day before I would see her (since I came up to help her move out)! Haha. Total fail. I know...

Why yogurt covered raisins, instead of regular ol` raisins? The foodie in me was tempted when I saw a bag of yogurt covered raisins next to the box of raisins at Target. Of course, you can use raisins, if you want. I`m pretty sure it`ll be equally wonderful.

The cookies turned out to be chewy and crispy, which I totally didn`t expect. I expected soft and chewy cookies, but this doesn`t mean these cookies weren`t good. I`m surprised at the amount of cookies I inhaled after these came out from the oven!! Being a fan of crispy cookies, I was smitten by them! It`s definitely a keeper to save in your baking arsenal. :)

I added some chocolate chips, since, really, I just couldn`t help myself. I`m a girl who loves chocolate in her cookies, what can I say?


Oatmeal Yogurt Covered Raisins Cookies
Adapted: The New Best Recipe | Yields: 16 med-large cookies | Level: Easy | Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
-          ¾ cup all purpose flour
-          ¼ teaspoon baking powder
-          ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          ¼ teaspoon salt
-          ½ cup/8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
-          ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
-          ¼ cup granulated sugar
-          1 large egg
-          ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
-          1 ½ cup old fashioned oatmeal
-          ½ cup yogurt covered raisins
-          chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet(s) with baking mat or parchment paper.
2.       In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt until combined.
3.       In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy.
4.       Add the brown sugar and sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
5.       Add the egg and vanilla, then beat to combine.
6.       Using a rubber spatula, fold in the oatmeal and raisins.
7.       Using a cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough onto baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches in between each.
8.       Flatten each dough ball slightly.
9.       Bake for 13-15 minutes, or edges are slightly golden.
10.   Allow cookies to cool on cooling racks.

*Notes:
-          Cookies  will spread, so make sure you leave at least 2 inches in between each dough ball.

-          Cookies are crispy and chewy. 
Cooksnaps