Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Brown Butter Brownies


Can you believe I used to not like brownies?? Yep, it amazes me how much my taste buds have changed since I started baking regularly. I didn`t love brownies, cakes, cupcakes, or cheesecakes. They were all just "meh" in my book. Oh, how things change when you start baking your own brownies, cakes, cupcakes, and cheesecakes. I`m not saying it`s because homemade is always better, since I have tasted amazing cakes and cheesecakes at some bakeries and restaurants. I just realized those grocery store desserts my parents would occasionally buy aren`t good.

Well, duhhh, Lynna. To be fair, my parents never baked any American/Western desserts, so I didn`t know any better. Now that I know I like brownies, cakes, cupcakes, and cheesecakes...I crave for them. Like, ALL THE TIME. There really is a downside (and upside) to everything, huh? At least before, I didn`t have to portion control my brownie intake. I would just pass on brownies altogether!

I was craving for brownies for months. But, let`s be real, I don`t need any reason to gulf down a whole pan of brownies by myself, since my parents wouldn`t eat any. Then, my friend told me she was craving brownies. Whelp, there goes reason out the window. I need to satisfy my friend`s craving! ;)




I don`t know about you, but choosing a brownie recipe is always hard for me. Just like cookies, brownies are mostly about preferences. Do you like thick, chewy, super fudgey, with or without nuts, crunchy edges, frosting, and the list can go on.

Personally, I like brownies that are slightly dense in texture, but not so thick it`s like fudge. I like them kind of crumbly, but not like cake or muffin crumbly. This brownie recipe totally satisfied my brownie craving. They were freakin great, so I definitely urge you to make this recipe, if you`re ever doubtful of which brownie recipe to make. Just look at the pictures and you can probably tell if the texture will be to your liking!

You can add nuts, if you prefer. I added some chocolate chips into the batter, because, I mean chocolate. Hehe. I used brown butter in practically everything now. In cookies, cakes, muffins, and now brownies. I usually don`t have the patience to wait for butter to soften to room temperature, so I often adjust the recipe to use brown butter instead. Seriously, these brownies were awesome. Let`s just say my attempts at portion control for these were futile.


Brown Butter Brownies
Adapted: Slow Roasted Italian| Yields: 9-16 squares | Level: Easy| Total Time:  50 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
-          ½ cup unsalted butter
-          ½ cup all purpose flour
-          ¼ teaspoon baking powder
-          ¼ teaspoon salt
-          ½ cup granulated sugar
-          ½ cup brown sugar
-          ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, shifted
-          1 oz semi-sweet chocolate
-          1 tablespoon vanilla extract
-          2 large eggs
-          ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a nonstick 8x8in baking pan with parchment paper, or grease well.
2.       In a small saucepan, brown your butter: Over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisking occasionally, let the butter turn into an amber color. It will foam a little. Once it subsides and brown specks appears at the bottom of the pan, it will begin to have a nutty aroma. Once butter turns a light golden brown color, transfer to a bowl to cool. (I stick it in the freezer to make it cool faster--about 5-8 minutes--stirring once or twice)
3.       In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa powder.
4.       In a small bowl, melt chocolate in microwave  in intervals of 15-20 seconds until melted.
5.       Next, add in the vanilla and eggs until barely combined.
6.       Stir in melted chocolate.
7.       Mix in brown butter until just combined.
8.       Fold in chocolate chips.
9.       Transfer batter into prepared baking dish.
10.   Bake for 20-22 minutes.
Allow brownies to cool on a cooling rack. Cut right before serving them.
Cooksnaps