Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Bourbon Pumpkin Streusel Tart {Revisited} + 24 Fall Baking Recipes


I shared this bourbon pumpkin tart back in my first year of blogging, but have changed the recipe a bit. So, I hope you don`t mind the revisit of a wonderful pumpkin dessert! At the same time, I`ve been meaning to make a compilation of Fall recipes because I have so many and love them all. They deserve another reminder. *winkwink*

The first time I made this tart, I loved it instantly. All of my family and friends know I`m not a fan of alcohol, so I never purchase any. Unless, it`s for baking. Yep, I went out to buy a whole bottle of bourbon whiskey just to bake this tart. It felt so weird to get carded at the registrar! You only need 1/4 cup, but I had no other choice. I`m not sure what to do with the leftover bourbon, so if any of you have good bourbon recipes, do share with me! ;)

This tart is really just a variation of a pumpkin pie. The crust is easy to work with and there's a wonderful streusel layer on top of the pumpkin filling. And, who`s not head over heels for streusel?! The tart isn`t thick, about 1 1/2 inch, so it`s not a heavy pie.



Another reason I wanted to revisit this recipe was to post better photographs to convince you all to try this tart. Even though these pictures aren`t much since I didn`t have much time, it`s an improvement compared to the old photos.

I`ll be successful today if I can convince at least one of you to bake something off of this list this Fall! The recipe for this bourbon pumpkin streusel tart will be at the end of the post!

(I apologize to my old/longtime readers...you probably saw all of this already!)


Okay! Are you ready for some drooling? These Fall desserts tend to do that. Sorry ahead of time! (Also, please excuse the old photos...the recipes are all awesome and delicious!!)

Since it`s Halloween next week, so we need some Halloween and pumpkin desserts to start off...


Graveyard Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes: Cheesecakes in cupcake forms simplifies all the complicated aspects of making cheesecake. Plus, it`s so simple to decorate and make them festive.


Pumpkin Pinwheels: So easy and they`re adorable! Drizzle with some chocolate and they`re hard to resist. You can make them even easier with canned pumpkin pie filling. Best eaten the day of, though!


Pumpkin Pie Spice Tortilla Crisps: Easy doesn`t even explain how easy this is. They`re cute and festive. And, I love that I can add tons of Halloween sprinkles to them as well.


Baked Pumpkin Creme-filled Donut Holes: One of my popular recipes! It`s been featured on several online sites and rightfully so! You can gobble up so many of these babies.


Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie: Oh my....this cheesecake is just ON. POINT. Plus, ganache, people. Too good not to include in your pumpkin baking this Fall. Guaranteed.


Multi-way Pumpkin Biscoff Snickerdoodles: You`ll have some leftover candies after Halloween. What better way to stuff them inside some pumpkin biscoff cookies? Yum! Or, make with into snickerdoodles! This recipe is multi-way, so you decide what you want.


Pumpkin Nutella Bread Pudding: Oh me, oh my. This bread pudding was so fabulous...I really wanted to dunk my face into it. You know, I totally would, if I didn`t have to clean everything off my hair later. Haha.

Now, here are a few candy recipes you can make to stuff with all your leftover Halloween candies:


Banana Twix Muffins: Banana muffins, stuffed with Twix. Or, really any mini chocolate candy you can get your hands on. ;)


Snickers Monster Cookies: I do love my candy.... These monster cookies are addicting. You`ve been warned!


Chocolate Peanut Butter Reese's Banana Bread: This combination. It's killer. The end.


Peanut Butter Banana Snickers Mini Muffins: Well, what can I say? I love me so pb, banana, and chocolate.... and I`m sure I`m not alone on this. These are super cute, too! Surprise people with any chocolate candies inside.

Now, let`s switch to some apples recipes!


Samoas Apple Crisps: Crisps are always perfect for Fall. This has a favorite Girl's Scout cookie spin to it and they`re amazing, if I do say so myself!


Caramel Apple Monkey Bread Muffins: THESE. So easy and taste so so so good. So good, I had to italicize the word for emphasis, since you can`t hear me say it!


Braided Biscoff Apple Bread: Frozen bread dough comes in handy when making these oh-so-soft bread. Biscoff and apples is a crazy good combo.


Mini Dutch Baby Pancakes with Maple Apple Topping: A Fall breakfast, or brunch idea for ya! It`s not too complicated, but look adorable in individual ramekins.


Applesauce Pancakes: Another breakfast/brunch option for a nice weekend in Autumn. Made with maple apple syrup, because I love maple + apple! Also, the applesauce makes it a bit healthier. Win!


Apple Nutella Bread Pudding: Because I just freakin love bread pudding. I`m not going to lie. This was so easy to make, I knew I was in love!


Caramel Apple Donuts: These baked donuts smell of Autumn. And taste fabulous, people. If you`ve never tried baked donuts, please do. They`re even simpler than making muffins!


Caramel Apple Pie: This was my favorite pie, like ever. I was making it like crazy, crazy! Caramel! Apples! Pie! It`s for all you caramel apple lovers out there. I know what we want, so it`s all in this pie. Plus, STREUSEL!


Puff Pastry Apple Pie with Frosted Flakes Crumble: Oh...what can I say about this pie. Except, it`s an apple pie dream. A huge contender, along with the caramel apple pie above, for my favorite pie on this Earth. Yeah, that`s a bold statement. Please make it and test my theory.


Caramel Cheesecake Apple Blondies: Shelly and Kristan from Cookies and Cups and Confessions of A Cookbook Queen held a creative contest and I won 3rd place with these babies. They`re magical. I can`t even describe how much I love them!


Apple Pear Strudel w/ Maple Glaze: Super simple and easy, since you use frozen phyllo dough. A terrificly awesome breakfast. Also, maple glaze. It`s another apple + maple combo, because I really cannot get enough!


Spiced Pear Muffins: I`m going to sneak in my only pear recipe, along with the apple recipes since pears are often forgotten. But, they taste equally as great in baked goods as their apple counterpart. P.S. - they are "lighter" muffins!

Whoa. This post took me much longer than I expected to compile! Last, but not least, the new bourbon pumpkin streusel tart recipe:


Bourbon Pumpkin Streusel Tart
Adapted: Taste of Home 2011 Fall Baking Issue | Yields: 1- 11-12 inch tart | Level: Easy | Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes

Ingredients:
Crust:
-          2 cups all purpose flour
-          1/3 cup granulated sugar
-          ½ teaspoon salt
-          11 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
-          1 large egg, lightly beaten
-          ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
Filling:
-          1 ¾ cups (1- 15oz can) pure pumpkin puree
-          3 large eggs
-          ½ cup heavy whipping cream
-          ¼ cup bourbon whiskey
-          ½ cup granulated sugar
-          ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
-          2 tablespoons all purpose flour
-          1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          1 teaspoon ground ginger
-          ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
-          ¼ teaspoon salt
Streusel:
-          1 cup all purpose flour
-          ¾ cup brown sugar
-          ¼ teaspoon salt
-          ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed

Directions:
1.       Grease bottom and sides of fluted tart pan w/ removable bottom. (I placed a parchment paper on the bottom too.)
2.       In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt well.
3.       Using a pastry cutter, or a fork, cut in the butter until it's crumbly.
4.       Mix in the egg slightly.
5.       Gradually pour cream in, while tossing the dough around with a fork until dough ball forms and pulls away from the bowl.
6.       Cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
7.       Preheat oven to 350°F.
8.       On a clean and well floured work surface, roll out the dough to a size a little larger than your tart pan.
9.       Transfer and press dough to the bottom and sides of pan. Set aside.
Apples:
10.   In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin, eggs, cream, and bourbon until just combined.
11.   Mix in the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt until combined.
12.   Pour filling into crust.
Streusel:
13.   In another medium-large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon well.
14.   Use a pastry cutter, or fork, to cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
15.   Sprinkle over pumpkin filling.
16.   Bake tart 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
17.   Let tart cool on a cooling rack.

*Notes:
-          Using a tart pan with a removable bottom makes for easy removal.
-          I baked with the tart pan on top of a baking sheet for 55 minutes.
-          Refrigerate tart, if not serving.

-          The crust dough is a bit sticky, so I rolled the crust on the parchment paper bottom I was using for the pan and moved it to my pan after rolling. 
Cooksnaps