Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Double Apple Croissant Waffles


I love homemade stuff. I mean, it`s what this blog is all about. However, I still love cheats like puff pastry and refrigerated dough. Those Pillsbury canned dough are some of my favorite things to work with. Not sure why, but I love working with them to make fun stuff (aside from the dough`s intended purposes, i.e. croissants).

The internet has been in love with waffling all sorts of foods. And heck, this is a trend I want to jump all over. I absolutely love waffles! I just dislike cleaning my waffle iron after making them...

I wanted to waffle croissant dough, because we all know croissants are crispy, flaky and just full of amazingness. Of course, I knew if I waffled the dough it`s not going to be exactly the same. They`re still crispy and full of amazingness, people. Waffling food deserves to be "a thing." Also, since you iron press the dough, the edges of the waffles is sort of free-from and has that Instagram-vintage-cool look and feel. (Did I even make sense?!)



The waffles are stuffed with shredded apples to give it some height, since they are thin. During the process, I had a spark of creativity to use a cookie cutter to cut out pumpkins and Christmas trees from the dough. They turned out super cute! I almost squealed when they came out. You can definitely use the idea for the upcoming holiday to make this breakfast more festive. If you have children, I`m sure they`ll be excited to get Christmas tree shaped waffles! I know I was!!


I added an apple topping on top complete the whole dish--make it more homey, if you will. Plus, I`ll always love some brown sugar and apples on top of my waffles or pancakes!

These were so easy to make since you don`t have to make the waffle batter. They`re not messy with all the batter drippings everywhere and they still taste great. I made a short stack of waffles, drizzled some maple syrup, and completed everything with a spoonful of that aromatic apple topping. Yum, yum, yummmm.


The serving is pretty small, since I used only one can of croissant dough. It would be two servings of breakfast for me (with a big glass of milk), but I tend to have smaller breakfasts. It may be 1, or 1 1/2, or 2 servings for you. If you`re to make this for more people, I suggest 1 can would be 1 1/2 serving and go from there as all the ingredients can be easily multiplied. :)
 

Double Apple Croissant Waffles
Hearts In My Oven Original | Yields: 8 small waffles  | Level: Easy | Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
Apple Topping:
-          1 tablespoon unsalted butter
-          ¾ cup apples, chopped
-          ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          1 tablespoon brown sugar
Waffles:
-          ¼ cup apple, shredded (or thinly sliced in small pieces)
-          1 can (8oz) croissant dough

Directions:
1.       In small saucepan melt the butter.
2.       Add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix.
3.       Add in the apples and cook until apples soften. Stirring occasionally. Set aside.
4.       Heat your waffle iron. Grease when ready.
5.       Spread out the sheet of croissant dough, lengthwise. Divide and cut it into 4x4 smaller rectangles.
6.       Place 1 rectangular piece on the bottom of the waffle pan. Add a small amount of shredded apples in the center. Top with another piece of croissant dough. Press down with the waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
7.        Top with maple syrup and apple topping.

*Notes:
-          Each stuffed waffle is pretty small, however, you can make the waffles bigger if you like. If making for more than 2 people, you`ll need to multiply this recipe and use more cans of croissant dough.

-          1 used 1 small-medium apple   
Cooksnaps