Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Blueberry Lemon Custard Tart


This post is coming at you all terribly late. I had planned to post this before July 4th...but as you can see, it is already the 15th.

I think I mentioned earlier that I was going to attend graduate school? My program started this summer and it has just been crazy. Like, really crazy. Exciting, but still crazy hectic. I go to school twice a week and have classes from 9am-7pm! I only have two short breaks in between classes, but it`s not even enough time for me to eat lunch! I`m also working part-time on the days I don`t have classes, so I haven`t had time to bake, which makes me sad. I spend my Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays doing all the homework/readings. If you didn`t know already, you have a ton of reading in graduate school. I mean, of course I had reading in undergrad, but not THIS much.

Anyway, that is the reason I haven`t had a chance to share a lot of recipes lately. I recently enrolled for my Fall quarter classes and I think it might just get crazier! I`m literally at home all day doing homework. Even my Instagram hasn`t been updated as often.



Okay, for real this time, let`s talk about this amazing tart. I made it for my youngest sister`s birthday because she LOVES pies and tarts. It has a few components, but you can prepare them separately and assemble the tart when you need to. I filled the tart the night before I served it and it was perfect! I had leftover in the fridge for several days and the tart shell holds up! I was beyond excited.

I am in love with this tart. I mean, look at the pictures and tell me you can resist this tart! It screams Summer and Spring and happiness. Fresh, sweet blueberries laying on a bed of custard cream...ah, life`s good.



Blueberry Lemon Custard Tart
Adapted: Technicolor Kitchen & Taste of Home Baking| Yields: 1 – 12in tart| Level: Easy-Intermediate | Total Time:  2 hours

Ingredients:
Crust:
-          2 ½ cups all purpose flour
-          ½ teaspoon salt
-          1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
-          ¾ cup granulated sugar
-          1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-          ½ teaspoon lemon zest
Pastry Cream Filling:
-          2 large egg yolks
-          1/3 cup granulated sugar
-          3 tablespoons cornstarch
-          2 ½ cup whole milk
-          1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping:
-          Lemon curd
-          Fresh blueberries
-          2 tablespoons fruit jam
-          ½ teaspoon hot water

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of tart pan.
Dough:
2.       In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
3.       In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar, medium speed, until light (about 3 minutes).
4.       Add and beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
5.       On low speed, add in the dry ingredients (flour, etc). Mix until everything is incorporated and crumbly. (Do NOT overmix, or else it will become a ball of dough.)
6.       Drop dough to tart pan, covering bottom and sides. Use a fork to poke the dough.
7.       Bake for 25 minutes, or until light brown. Let crust cool completely.
Custard Cream:
8.       In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg yolks.
9.       In a small saucepan, add the sugar and cornstarch.
10.    Slowly add the milk into the pan until mixture is smooth.
11.   Bring mixture to a boil until it thickens and bubbles a little. Reduce the heat and cook, while stirring for another 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
12.   While whisking the egg yolks, add about half of the mixture into the bowl with egg yolks.. Then, transfer everything back into the saucepan.
13.   While stirring constantly, bring mixture to a gentle boil for 2 minutes.
14.   Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
15.   Transfer filling into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, letting the wrap touch the top of the filling. (This prevents a film from forming.)
16.   Chill filling completely before using.
Assembly:
17.   Spread a thin layer of lemon curd on the baked tart shell.
18.   Stir the lemon zest into the custard. Spread chilled custard on tart shell evenly.
19.   Top with blueberries.
20.   Optional glaze: mix jam with hot water and brush the tops of berries.

*Notes:
-          There will be extra tart dough. I used a 12 inch tart pan with a removable bottom and had leftover tart dough.
-          Amount of blueberries will vary depending on your tart pan size.
I assembled the tart the night before I served it. It will last for about 3-5 days fine, refrigerated. 

Cooksnaps