Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mini Dutch Babies Pancakes with Maple Apple Topping


I`m one of those people who absolutely love and adore eating breakfast all day, everyday. For dinner? Yes. For lunch? Yes. I blame my sweet tooth. It makes me crave waffles and berries for dinner instead of pasta or chicken!

I`ve been meaning to make dutch babies since the first time I laid eyes on a recipe. Unfortunately, it took me approximately 3 years to get on it! I wish I hadn`t, though. Boy, I was totally missing out. 

Not only do these dutch babies look super cute since they are minis, they`re so good! I`m wish I hadn`t been so lazy when it came to trying these pancakes out. Aside from being called dutch babies, they are also called German pancakes, or pancake puffs. 

Personally, I love waffles. All sorts of them. Pancakes are on the lower end of my breakfast foods preferences. However, I love baking and when I realized I can bake pancakes, I was completely on board. I love the maple apple topping, too. Of course, if you`re lazy, you can just drizzle these with some maple syrup and call it a meal. 

These are so pretty, too! They look fancy since the edges puff up, yet, they`re incredibly simple to make. You whip everything up in just ONE bowl. Then, you bake them, and boom, done. :)



Mini Dutch Baby Pancakes w/ Maple Apple Topping
Adapted: Desserts In Jars | Yields: 6 Mini Pancakes| Level: Easy | Total Time:  40 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
Dutch Baby Pancakes
-          2 large eggs
-          ½ cup vanilla soymilk
-          ½ cup all purpose flour
-          ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          1/8 teaspoon salt
-          2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Maple Apple Topping:
-          2 granny smith apples, thinly sliced
-          2 tablespoons unsalted butter
-          ¼ cup brown sugar
-          dash ground cinnamon
-          1 tablespoon pure maple syrup

Directions:
Dutch Baby Pancakes:
1.       Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease or butter 6 small ramekins (at least ½ cup in size).
2.       In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
3.       Add in the flour, cinnamon, and salt and mix to combine.
4.       Divide batter between your ramekins.
5.       Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are puffed and lightly brown.
6.       Remove to cool.
Maple Apple Topping:
7.       While pancakes are in the oven: In a small saucepan, melt your butter, on medium heat.
8.       Add and cook the apples until they soften.
9.       Add in the sugar, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
10.   Stir everything to mix.
11.   When apples are cooked and everything has slightly thicken and combined (2-3 minutes), turn off heat.
12.   Top each pancake with topping.
13.   If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.

*Notes:
-          Best eaten immediately after baked.
-          I used soymilk, but regular whole milk will work as well. 
Cooksnaps