Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Braided Biscoff Apple Bread


It seems like Summer`s weather is coming super early for Southern California. This week is all high 80s!! I know, I don`t like the rain, but we could really use it. Haha.

Okay, so this recipe is incredibly simple and definitely feels out of season for Spring. I mean, apples? Many food blogs aim to use seasonal ingredients and I try to do the same, as well. But living in SoCal, it`s hard for me, since the fruits I always crave for are sold all the time! :P

I love apple desserts so much, I crave for them year-around. (Just like, ice cream.) Heck, you only need 1 apple for this recipe, so it doesn`t really matter if they`re in season. The weather is getting warm, so you probably want to avoid the oven. This simple recipe will get you a wonderful treat, without much work!


I used frozen white bread dough, however, you could make your own, if you like. Like, I said, it`s hot so minimal kitchen time is key here. I thawed my dough in the fridge overnight and I took it out to double in size the day of. You bake it for about 20 minutes and voila! You have yourself a beautiful braided bread!

My parents enjoy snacking on pastry breads, so I combined my apple craving to make this for all of us to enjoy. :) I also tried this with Nutella spread, but I much prefer this Biscoff version. :)


Braided Biscoff Apple Bread
Hearts In My Oven Original (Lynna Huynh) | Yields: 1 loaf | Level: Easy | Total Time:  3.5 hours + thawing time | Print

Ingredients:
-          1 frozen white bread dough loaf, thawed
-          ½ cup Biscoff spread
-          1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
-          1 egg
-          1 tablespoon water

Directions:
1.       Thaw frozen bread dough according to package. This may take a few hours-overnight, depending on your brand's instructions.
2.       Let dough rise until double its size in a well greased, metal bowl. (May take 2-3 hours, since it's taking off the chill.)
3.       Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper, or baking mat.
4.       Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough into a long rectangle (about 15in x 11in).
5.       Spread Biscoff/speculoos cookie spread in an even layer.
6.       Sprinkle chopped apples over spread.
7.       Roll into a log, lengthwise.
8.       Using a knife, cut the log straight down the middle. (You will see layers of filling.)
9.       Pinch the tops together. Alternating sides, lift the left over the right, right over left until you reach the end. Pinch to seal the end.
10.   Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
11.   In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water.
12.   Using a pastry brush, brush egg wash over bread twice.
13.   Bake in oven for about 20 minutes.
14.   Let bread cool slightly before serving.

*Notes:
-          I used Rhodes White Bread Dough, 1 loaf, thawed in the fridge overnight.

-          Bread will stay soft and last for 1 week in a seal container. 
Cooksnaps