Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Dulce de Leche Ice Cream (No Churn)


Gah. I`m starting to see graduation pictures everywhere! I seriously cannot believe it`s been almost a year since I walked and received my diploma. Actually, more like walking across a stage and shaking hands with someone important as thousands of strangers are anxiously looking for that one student they came for. Haha! What they don`t tell you, is that you get your actual diploma later. I actually just picked mine up from my alma mater last month! It took me long enough! Especially since I`m always in the area. But, technically, I didn`t graduate until September because I had to take one more class over the summer to finish my management minor. :P

I told ya, I would be back with recipes to use that dulce de leche. Did I leave you hanging too long? This ice cream is ridiculously easy. Total easy-peasy status. It`s no churn, which means you don`t need an ice cream maker!! Yay! I mean, I love my ice cream maker. It allows me the opportunity to make fresh, homemade flavors to my liking. However, I have the one where you need to freeze the bowl. So, I always have to plan ahead. Also, most ice creams require you to make a custard base over the stove, let that chill completely before you churn. Then, once you churn, you have to let the ice cream harden in the freezer for a few hours before you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.

This easy-peasy recipe? You skip most of these steps. You just make the base and freeze! If you make it in the morning or afternoon, by dinner time you`ll have a wonderful, creamy dulce de leche ice cream ready!



At first, I was worried the ice cream wouldn`t taste as creamy as ice cream should be.I didn`t even have to worry!! It was creamy and SO AWESOME. Unless you`re an ice cream super master/extraordinaire, you wouldn`t even realize it wasn`t made with the typical ice cream making methods. ;)

Another great thing about this recipe is how you don`t really need any special equipment! You just whip the cream until soft peaks, then fold in the rest of the ingredients. I would definitely recommend this recipe if you were having a dinner party or a group gathering. It`s so simple, it`s virtually stress-free. It pairs well with with other desserts, too. Apple pie, anyone?

Also, excuse my weird ice cream scoops, as always. I only have an ice cream spade and a broken ice cream scoop. Haha!


Dulce de Leche Ice Cream
Adapted: Technicolor Kitchen | Yields: 1 ½ pint | Level: Easy | Total Time:  15 minutes + chilling time | Print 

Ingredients:
-          1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream, cold
-          1 ½ cups dulce de leche
-          ¼ teaspoon sea salt
-          1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1.       In a bowl with an eclectic mixer attachment, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
2.       Add in the dulce de leche, sea salt, and vanilla extract. Fold with a rubber spatula until incorporated.
3.       In a freezer-safe container, transfer over the ice cream, drizzle more dulce de leche, and top with more ice cream.
Place a plastic wrap over the top, letting it touch the surface of the ice cream. Freeze until hardens, or reaches your desire consistency, about 6-8 hours.



*Notes:

-          I used my homemade dulce de leche for this ice cream. However, you may use store brought. 
Cooksnaps