Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Ultrathin Chocolate Chunk Cookies


Sometimes, but what I really mean is all the time, I wish I had like 10 stomachs. As a self-proclaimed foodie, I just want to eat! I`m always excited about trying new foods or new restaurants. I think life is too good to not eat all the good food in life!! Weird, coming from the girl who orders the same exact drink when I buy bubble/boba milk tea...haha. To be fair, it`s milk tea. I don`t care much for random combinations of different teas or milk, like lavender milk tea or almond green tea.  But, I always try new and unique foods!

These are NOT ORDINARY chocolate chip/chunk cookies. So, please, because you go, "Really?! ANOTHER self-proclaimed-great chocolate chip cookie recipe?!!" hear me out. These are NOT your ordinary chocolate chip cookies, because they`re ultrathin. Like, really really thin. Not the classic CCC. I repeat, not. I`m not saying these are the HOMG-BEST chocolate chip cookies in the world, because I do not classify this recipe with those classic CCC recipes. It`s more of an amazing twist on the classic CCC. One of the best, in my opinion.

They`re not super thick or chewy. In fact, they`re extremely thin and crispy. And, seriously, one of my ultimate favorite cookie recipes to ever exist in this universe. Nope, that was not an exaggeration either. I`m being totally and completely honest with you.



Now, we all have different cookie preferences. I LOVE cookies that are crispy and crunchy. I`m not really a fan of those thick and super chewy cookies, since they make me want to gulp down a glass of milk after just one bite. My idea chocolate chip cookies are crispy on the outside and chewy in the center. (Heads up: I`ll be sharing my favorite recipes for these soon, so watch out!)

Before I dive into these cookies, a short back story: I once went to a restaurant, called The Misfit Restaurant + Bar in Santa Monica Promenade and had one of these best cookies in my life. They were very thin chocolate chip cookies with lots of sea salt sprinkled on top. I`ve been searching everywhere for a recipe. When I bought Alice Medrich's Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy book and saw how much this recipe resembled the ones from the restaurant, I was embarrassingly ecstatic. They weren`t the same, but it didn`t matter, because I had just found one of my favorite recipes, ever.

I made them immediately. Then, again and again and again. It wasn`t just me who love them, though. When my sister first tried these cookies, she told me to make them again the next day. So, I did. My friend told me to always make these for her. So, I did. It`s seriously a killer recipe!

They are HUGE (about 5 inches in diameter) cookies. They`re so crispy and crunchy...gah...I`m in heaven when I eat these. As you can see from the pictures, they`re very thin. I actually wanted them to be even thinner, but this was the thinnest I could make them. I like using those dark chocolate truffle chocolate bars from Trader Joe's, but any of your favorite chocolate bars or chips will do!

You don`t have to let the cookie batter rest. They`ll be delicious either way, but the rest gives them this amazing, caramel-like, taste. I`ve baked these cookies so many times, with different resting periods, and they turn out beyond amazing every time. So, of course, if you can, let the dough rest. However, if you just want these dang cookies in your tummy, just bake them right away! :)

This is seriously one of my most used recipe and coming from a food blogger...that just shows you how much I love these cookies. Top with a couple sprinkles of sea salt and you`ll be in cookie heaven. The fragrant of these cookies from the brown butter is also a killer. Don`t say I didn`t warn ya!


Ultrathin Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Adapted: Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy  | Yields: 15 large cookies | Level: Easy | Total Time:  35 minutes + resting time | Print

Ingredients:
-          11 tablespoons unsalted butter
-          1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
-          ½ teaspoon baking soda
-          ¾ cup old fashioned oats
-          ½ cup granulated sugar
-          ¼  cup brown sugar, packed
-          2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
-          2 tablespoons whole milk
-          ½ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
-          1 3.5oz dark chocolate bar, chopped
-          ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1.       Line a large baking sheet with baking mat or parchment paper.
2.       In a small saucepan, brown your butter: Over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisking occasionally, let the butter turn into an amber color. It will foam. Once it subsides and brown specks appears at the bottom of the pan, it will begin to have a nutty aroma. Once butter turns a light golden brown color, transfer to a large mug to cool. (I stick it in the freezer to make it cool faster--about 10 minutes, whisking every 3-5 minutes.)
3.       In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, oats, and salt well.
4.       In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and brown sugar well.
5.       Then, add the corn syrup, milk, salt, and brown butter. Combine well.
6.       Fold in the dry ingredients (flour, etc).
7.       Add the chopped chocolate.
8.       If you can, let the batter rest for at least 1 hour at room temperature, or best, overnight in the fridge.*
9.       When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325°F.
10.   Using a cookie scoop, divide the batter into 15 equal size balls.
11.   Flatten each ball until it's about 4 inches in diameter on your baking sheet.
12.   Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
13.   Let cookies cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.

*Notes:
-          As with most chocolate chip cookie dough, resting time allows all the flavors to really enhance. Cookies will still taste great with or without resting time.
-          If the dough is still too warm from the brown butter, allow it to cool down a bit before adding the chocolate.

-          The cookies will spread to about 5 inches in diameter. With my baking sheet, I baked 5 cookies at a time. 
Cooksnaps