Friday, August 29, 2014

Baked Egg Avocado Toast


I have to say, I love love love avocados. Thankfully, I live in California, so there are always avocados when I go to the market. One weekend, my family went to a Strawberry Festival in a different city and a vendor was selling 20 (...or 25?!) avocados for like, $10!!! I freaked out when I saw. My family and my uncle`s family each bought a bag home.

I`ve seen baked avocado recipes, like this or bread, muffins, and brownies made using avocados, so I was happy I would have enough to experiment. Unfortunately, this was all I made from that list. Totally a food blogger fail, I know. But, outside of work, I have been out and about with family and friends a lot this summer. Thus, less time in the kitchen to bake.

Apparently, there are strong opinions for or against cooking avocados! Many people love eating these baked egg avocados. On the other hand, people don`t like the warm, mushy taste of a baked avocado. Frankly, I eat avocados on top of my rice sometimes. As my friend pointed out, it`s like eating it with sushi rolls. Although the avocado is not cooked, I am eating it with warm foods. So, I thought I would give this Pinterest-crazed idea a try.



Results? I totally enjoyed it with a slice of toast for lunch! It can definitely be eaten for breakfast too, but I wake up sort of late...hehe. In regards to some people`s concern about the avocados being mushy...my avocado was NOT mushy at all. Of course, it was warm, but totally not mushy. It still held its firmness when I spreaded it on my toast. However, this could be because of the way I baked the avocado?

I started with a high temperature to cook the egg and give it that nice brown top. Then I lowered it a little to cook the egg further. The main thing here is cooking that egg! If you prefer a runny egg, after you lower the temperature, you can simply bake for another few minutes or so. I love and adore eggs that are a little runny, but I didn`t think about it when I was making this. I should`ve. Darn. But, that`s my suggestion, if you do!

Want a pretty breakfast or lunch presentation? This is for you. Not to mention how incredibly simple and easy this "recipe" is. It`s kind of hard to pass up an attempt, if you`re unsure about it. Don`t you think? ;) It`s definitely something I`ll be making often whenever avocados are in season.

Also, play with some ideas on various ways you can make this! Seriously, just but all that savory breakfast favorites on top! Haha.



Baked Egg Avocado Toast
Hearts In My Oven Original | Yields: 1 serving | Level: Easy | Total Time: 30 minutes | Print

Ingredients:
-          ½ large Haas avocado, seed removed
-          1 egg
-          salt, to taste
-          pepper, to taste
-          1 tablespoon diced roma tomatoes
-          1 tablespoon pepper jack cheese, shredded
-          1 slice whole wheat bread, toasted

Directions:
1.       Preheat toaster oven/oven to 400°F.
2.       Grease/oil a ramekin. Place avocado half inside, making sure it fits well and will not tip over.
3.       Crack egg into the hole of the avocado (where the seed was).
4.       Sprinkle desired amount of salt and pepper on top of cracked egg.
5.       Sprinkle diced tomatoes and cheese.
6.       Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until surface of egg is cooked (white). Then, reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the egg reaches your desired consistency.
7.       Serve with a slice of toast.

*Notes:
-          Recommended to use small eggs, but I used a large and it was fine since my avocados were also large.
-          Adjust according to how many you want to serve. This is for HALF of 1 avocado. Just multiply 1 egg for every half.
Play with different toppings and seasoning. Bacon, ham, any kind of shredded cheese, etc. 


Cooksnaps