Thursday, August 21, 2014

Coffee Stracciatella Ice Cream


Even though National Ice Cream Month was in July, it`s still summer, which means more ice cream consumption. At least for me!

I haven`t made coffee ice cream in forever. It`s one of my favorite go-to flavors when I visit ice cream shops. Of course coffee + toffee go well together, but I did that last time.

I`m not an avid coffee drinker. I only drink stuff like coffee milk or mocha frappuccino since I like the coffee flavor. It was hard to find a recipe that didn`t use coffee beans or grounds, but still yielded the strong coffee flavor I like. I think I totally found a winner with this one. Next time, I might even up the coffee. Although, this amount was perfect, I just love the strong coffee taste!


You know what`s as delicious as coffee ice cream? Coffee stracciatella ice cream. Think mini chocolate bits, randomly sprinkled throughout that wonderful coffee ice cream....yum galore. Adding melted chocolate while the ice cream was churning was my favorite part!

Also, honestly, stracciatella is a hard word to spell. Not gonna lie, I just copy and paste that word from Google. Spelling was never my strong suit. Eating, now, that I do an A+ job of. :)

You must, must, must try this fabulous recipe. Both my parents aren`t huge fans of ice cream, but they told me how much they like this recipe. They hardly ever comment/try my homemade ice cream! I swear they sometime steal a spoon or two before bed--as evidence by the spoon in the sink (after all the dishes have been done after dinner).


I ate all 3 scoops of this ice cream after I photographed it. It was just magically delicious. And much too
hard to resist!


Coffee Stracciatella Ice Cream
Adapted: Emeril Lagasse | Yields: about 1 ½ quart | Level: Medium | Total Time:  50 minutes + chilling time | Print

Ingredients:
Coffee Ice Cream:
-          6 egg yolks
-          2 cups heavy cream
-          2 cups whole milk
-          ¾ cup granulated sugar
-          3  tablespoons instant coffee granules
-          1 dark chocolate bar, chopped
-          3.5 chocolate bar (I used dark chocolate)

Directions:
Coffee Ice Cream:
1.       In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks lightly.
2.       In a saucepan, on medium heat, heat together the cream, milk, sugar, and coffee granules.
3.       Reduce the heat once it scalding hot, but not yet boiling.
4.       While whisking the egg yolks, slowly pour in half of the cream mixture into the yolks.
5.       Slowly, transfer everything back into the saucepan, while whisking the cream constantly.
6.       While stirring constantly, heat the mixture until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from heat.
7.       Cover bowl with plastic wrap touching the surface of the cream mixture. Chill until completely cold, preferably overnight.
Churning:
8.       Churn ice cream mixture according to your manufacturer's instructions.
9.       In a microwave safe bowl, melt your chocolate in short 30-15 seconds intervals until completed melted.
10.   When your ice cream is about ¾ done churning, start drizzling in your melted chocolate as it churns.
11.   Scoop some ice cream into your container. If desired, drizzle in more chocolate if you have some leftover. Layer with more ice cream. Repeat process, ending with ice cream. Freeze until it reaches your desired consistency (about 6+ hours).

*Notes:
-          You can definitely use regular milk chocolate, instead. I used a 3.5oz bar of dark chocolate truffle from Trader Joe's.
I took out about 2 tablespoons of sugar. However, ¾ cup of sugar will work great.

Cooksnaps