Monday, November 18, 2013

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake with Coffee Glaze


Whenever it`s someone`s birthday, I always use it as an excuse to bake something. Even when I have a million of other things I have to do. Any type of excuse to bake is always a good enough reason for me to turn on the oven. I even lose sleep to bake sometimes! Haha. :)

It was my aunt`s birthday and she`s been with the family since I was still in elementary school. She`s done so much for me and my sisters as she watched us grow up. Which is why, I definitely wanted to bake a special cake for her birthday this year.

I`m sure you can guess that she`s a huge chocolate lover, since I baked her this fabulous chocolate cake! Sour cream is, like, essential for chocolate cakes, so it goes without saying I knew this recipe was a winner.


I couldn`t afford the time to bake a layered cake (which is also why I baked this pumpkin cheesecake for my counsins` birthdays). A bundt cake is simple, yet beautiful. Additionally, I`ve never baked a large bundt cake before, so I wanted to give it a go. As with many bundt cakes, I had to top it with some sort of glaze. I chose to make a coffee glaze since chocolate and coffee make a such lovely pairing in the baking world.

You can refrigerate the cake, but I suggest not to. Since the weather has cooled down, it`s safe to leave the cake, covered, at room temperature. This way, you`ll be able to get that moist, soft, and wonderfully chocolate taste. I thought I wasn`t a chocolate cake fanatic (I always prefer other cake flavors over chocolate), but one bite of this and I wanted seconds, thirds, and more! I was craving and sneaking bites from the cake as much as I could get. I had to constantly remind myself that this was not MY birthday cake, but my aunt`s! :P


Sour Cream Chocolate Cake w/ Coffee Glaze
Adapted: Joy The Baker | Yields: 1- 10 inch bundt cake/~10 servings| Level: Easy | Total Time:  ~2 hours | Print

Ingredients:
Chocolate Cake:
§  1 ¼ cups coffee, hot*
§  1 cup cocoa powder, shifted
§  2 ½ cups all purpose flour
§  1 ¼ teaspoons salt
§  2 ½ teaspoons baking soda
§  1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
§  1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
§  3 large eggs
§  ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
§  1 ¼ cups sour cream
§  1 cup + 2 teaspoons olive oil
§  1/3 cup chocolate chips, dusted with flour (Optional)
Coffee Glaze:
§  1 cup powdered sugar, shifted
§  1 ½ -2 tablespoons coffee
Materials Needed:
-          1-10 inch nonstick bundt pan
-          2 small bowls
-          1 large bowl
-          1 medium bowl
-          3-4 whisks
-          1 rubber spatula
-          1 cooling rack


Directions:
Chocolate Cake:
1.        Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10 inch bundt pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
2.       In a small bowl, whisk the coffee and shifted cocoa powder. Set aside.
3.       In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
4.       In a medium bowl, beat the sugars and eggs together until light yellow.
5.       Mix in vanilla extract, sour cream, and olive oil until well combined.
6.       Transfer egg mixture (sugars, egg, etc) to the flour mixture (flour, salt, etc) and combine until everything is incorporated.
7.       Add in the coffee and cocoa mixture and mix until well combined.
8.       Fold in chocolate chips (dusted with flour to prevent them from sinking).
9.       Transfer batter into prepared bundt pan.
10.   Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
11.   Remove cake from oven and let the cake cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes before turning it over to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Coffee Glaze:
12.   In a small bowl, whisk together the shifted powdered sugar and coffee until smooth.
13.   When the cake is at room temperature, glaze cake.

*Notes:
-          I used instant coffee.

-          Cake will keep well at room temperature for several days. You can refrigerate, but allow the cake to reach room temperature for a better chocolate taste.
Cooksnaps